Re: nfs export question

Just change you user mapping to emccode instead of nfsuser01.  Then umount and mount the export again and run ls -la.  You should now have the correct mappings in place and be able to create/edit/view files.

Are you an EMC employee?  If so, we can do a WebEx to get this figured out.

-Ben

0 Kudos

Or, like you mentioned, create a new object user nfsuser01, create and new bucket and make that user the owner.  Then, create another export for that namespace that uses the new bucket and try to mount it.

0 Kudos
dancaps
1 Copper

I still can't get this to work. I've been able to mount the export but when I try to create a file I get permission denied. I know I'm missing something small here. Could you do me a favor and basically write the steps, maybe even screenshot the pages? I've tried to do it from scratch and these are the steps I'm doing.

1. Create an object user named nfs_user. I generate a s3 password for this user.

create nfs user.JPG.jpg

2. Create a bucket named nfs_bucket and make nfs_user the owner. I also enable file system. I put a group that hasn't been defined anywhere named nfs_group and assign it read, write and execute. I make the retention 1 second.

create bucket.JPG.jpg

3. I go to file --> user/ group mapping and create a new user with the same name as the object user I created earlier and assign it an id of 30001

create nfs user non object.JPG.jpg

4. I go to file --> user/ group mapping and create a new group with the same name as the group I used earlier during bucket creation and assign it an id of 30002

create nfs group.JPG.jpg

5. I go to file --> exports and create a new export. I select the nfs_bucket I created in step 2.

6. I add an export host. I add * to the export host field, I select Read/Write for permissions, I select Sys for authentication, I allow mounting directories for anonuser I enter the nfs_user id I created of 30001, for anongroup I add the nfs_group id I created of 30002 and for rootsquash I add the nfs_user id of 30001.

host export options.JPG.jpg

export creation.JPG.jpg

At this point I would expect it to be working. I go to the linux client and run this.

[root@localhost /]# showmount -e 10.44.236.56

Export list for 10.44.236.56:

/ns1/test_nfs   *

/ns1/nfs_bucket *

/ns1/nfs_test2  *

[root@localhost /]# mount -t nfs -o vers=3,sec=sys,proto=tcp 10.44.236.56:/ns1/nfs_bucket /nfsshare/

[root@localhost /]# ls -al /nfsshare/

total 1

drwxrwxrwx. 3 30001 30002 96 Apr 20 10:36 .

[root@localhost /]# touch /nfsshare/file1

touch: cannot touch ‘/nfsshare/file1’: Permission denied

[root@localhost /]#

What step am I missing here?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Everything looks okay except your export host should look like this:eh.png

If you still have permissions after changing the AnonUser, AnonGroup and RootSquash, can you try mounting just to your bucket instead of down into a sub directory?  So your mount command would be mount -t nfs -o vers=3,sec=sys,proto=tcp 10.44.236.56:/ns1/nfs_bucket

0 Kudos
dancaps
1 Copper

So check this out. I changed the users and groups in my export to the name instead of the ID and now I can create directories but I get this weird I/O error when I try and put a file in there.

[root@localhost /]# mount -t nfs -o vers=3,sec=sys,proto=tcp,async 10.44.236.56:/ns1/nfs_bucket /nfsshare/

[root@localhost /]# cd /nfsshare/

[root@localhost nfsshare]# ls -al

total 1

drwxrwxrwx. 3 30001 30002 96 Apr 20 18:00 .

[root@localhost nfsshare]# mkdir test_dir

[root@localhost nfsshare]# touch test_file

touch: cannot touch ‘test_file’: Remote I/O error

total 1

drwxrwxrwx. 3 30001 30002 96 Apr 20 18:02 .

drwxr-xr-x. 3 30001 30002 96 Apr 20 18:02 test_dir

Also I am mounting the nfs_bucket. The last part "/nfsshare/" is the location I'm mounting to.

Any ideas on the I/O error?

0 Kudos

Hmm ...  I'm starting to run out of ideas.  Did you chmod 777 nfsshare before running the mount command?  After you run the mount command, don't create and sub directories.  Instead, try to just echo 'test data in test file' > test.txt right in the root of /nfsshare.  Then, run ls -la.  Finally, run cat text.txt.  Can you paste all that back to me so I can see?

-Ben

0 Kudos
ChristianAdams
1 Copper

What does the NFS export ACL look like from the ECS Administrator GUI?

0 Kudos
dancaps
1 Copper

Do you mean the acl of the bucket? The only acl information I know about for the nfs export is when you are configuring you user group mappings and you host export options. Both of which I have screenshots of above.

0 Kudos
dancaps
1 Copper

Yeah the same thing. I'm going to try and reinstall ecs.

[root@localhost ~]# chmod 777 /nfsshare/

[root@localhost ~]# mount -t nfs -o vers=3,sec=sys,proto=tcp,async 10.44.236.56:/ns1/nfs_bucket /nfsshare/

[root@localhost ~]# cd /nfsshare/

total 1

[root@localhost nfsshare]# echo 'test data in test file' > test

-bash: test: Remote I/O error

total 1

0 Kudos
ChristianAdams
1 Copper

I apologize for not being more specific regarding the NFS export ACL.  From the ECS Administrator GUI -> Manage -> File -> Exports.  What does this screen display?

0 Kudos