Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2009 12:00

Bits from Managing Storage 2009-2010 study

For the last 4 years, we have carried out an industry wide study to recognize the challenges and trends as it relates to information storage and management. We are currently going through the analysis of latest data that was gathered in Jan-Feb'09. Added questions this year is to assess the impact of slow down in the economy on storage professionals and their assignments.

Here are some interesting stats: (We had 1400+ IT/storage managers and storage professionals participate in the survey this year as well):

Impact of slow down in the economy:

42% : No change to their assignments and skillsets required

53% : Broadening responsibilities; new knowledge/skills required

5%  : Retraining their IT teams to take up storage management responsibilities.

As surprising (or shocking) the last point seems, I have heard some cases where companies have asked their non-IT professionals to step into IT related jobs to help out.

As I go through the analysis, I will share interesting bits of finding (if there is interest out there).

Take care,

Alok

82 Posts

April 28th, 2009 10:00

I understand that the new study is nearing completion. Can you share any more insights with the community?

Thanks.

82 Posts

June 15th, 2009 12:00

Now that the Managing Storage study is published (visit the EMC Education web site) we are interested in knowing from those who have looked at it, how it compares to your experience. Do the findings in this paper, for example the top challenges that storage managers face, or the areas of storage technology that need the most deep technical skills? Do you agree?  Are there other areas of research that we should be looking into that would help you run your business better?

Charles

Community Manager

No Events found!