• Data Domain
  • CCNP Data Center
  • VCP5-DT/Cloud/DV

Education: Bachelor’s in Networking

Area of Expertise: Storage and Virtualization

Employer: Dimension Data

Function/Role: Solution Architect in the Data Center Business Unit/ Pre-Sales

Social Profiles:

Can you briefly describe your background, for example, how did you first become interested in IT? What training did you undertake to start your career?

Honestly, I did not do any training material to start my career. My first school was by surviving the fire. I started off as a UNIX admin, then moved the Microsoft side of things. I then started getting into virtualization as a way to save the company money and drive my skills. From there it kind of just snowballed. I fell into a Storage admin position. All through this time I never had a formal training class. I learned by trial and error. It was hell.

Describe your current position/role. What most interests you about your work?

I am a Pre-Sales DC Solution Architect. I help customers find a solution that works for their businesses needs now, and for the future. I like being able to shape a proper IT Vision for a company, and become their trusted advisor.

What projects/technology are you planning on for the future? Are you planning on more training, or learning a new skill?

If you’re not planning more training, you’re going to be left behind. I want to learn more about DSSD when it comes out. I also like to get more involved in the Software defined datacenter conversation with EMC and other partner companies.

Name a major achievement in your career or any awards that you have won. What accomplishments are you most proud of?

I have won many company performance awards. But the accomplishment I am most proud of is being a father to two fantastic daughters.

Is there anything else you’d like to share about yourself? Name some hobbies or interests you have.

I like to golf, ski, and smoke cigars with some nice whiskey.

Are you active in the EMC Proven Professional Community? If so, what part of the Community do you most enjoy?

Not as active as I would like to be. Although, I am on it reading quite frequently.

Briefly, how has the EMC Proven Professional Program benefitted you personally or professionally?

It has opened doors to new opportunities. Dealing with bleeding edge technologies and becoming friendly with the decision makers and researchers on new products.

What advice would you give to someone entering the EMC Proven Professional Program?

Pay attention. Use each class as a building block. Many Storage and even backup principles are similar. So if you can figure out one through training the next class will that much easier. Take notes and make sure you actually do the class.

Read other EMC Proven Professional Spotlight interviews in the Proven Professional Spotlight Archive

No Responses!
No Events found!