Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2009 13:00

From EMC World floor... so, did you purchase the new EMC book? if so, why and how will it assist you in your job?

From EMC World floor... so, did you purchase the new EMC book?  if so, why and how will it assist you in your job?

82 Posts

May 19th, 2009 15:00

Several people that I talked to here at EMC World are very interested in using the book as a place to start their certification roadmap. Others plan to use it as a teaching tool (such as through the academic alliance). All of the books we brought for the EMC Store on site have sold out - by the second day! If anybody who has purchased the book can give us a quick review, that would be great.

...from the show

Charles, Community Manager

2.1K Posts

May 19th, 2009 17:00

Well, I bought the book on day one (actually before Day one since it was Sunday).

I was planning on writing the E20-001 exam this week and I have not had the advantage of the formal classroom training or the CBT version. Training dollars are tight this year everywhere. I figured it would be a good investment since exams were half price on site and the book was only $40. If it helped, I'd still be up $60... and if I needed it and didn't buy it I would have been out $100 (for a failed exam).

Turns out I was pretty much as ready as I thought I was, and I would likely have passed the exam anyway, but skimming through the book to bone up on a few key topics that I don't deal with every day (like security and backups) I realize that this really is a valuable resource even aside from the certification prep.

Once I get a chance to read it cover to cover I'm going to turn it over to my team back home and strongly suggest that each of them read it cover to cover as well. Then there are a few other technical resources I'm going to recomend it to who deal with storage for project work but could really use a much better understanding of the storage "world".

From me.... two thumbs up.

2K Posts

May 20th, 2009 06:00

I got the book without spending money so I would spend money on another Tech book from the EMC Marketplace. I cleared my exam also last year but this book would help my team to prepare apart from the fact that it should be a good ready recknor for basic storage. Even if you had the luxury of attending ISM course, I would say this book has much more content than the course material. That's what I know from the quick look at the book.    

2K Posts

May 20th, 2009 15:00

I agree with you Allen.

2.1K Posts

May 20th, 2009 15:00

I have taken courses before, and there are occasional things you can get out of them (if you have a really good instructor) that you wouldn't get otherwise.

But for the most part I find that self study (a really good book can't be beat) is better for me. It gives me the time to go over the material in more detail than provided by the course, and you can spend as much time as you want on each section.

May 22nd, 2009 05:00

So, how do I purchase the book if I'm not at EMC World?

May 22nd, 2009 06:00

Barb,

Thanks!

13 Posts

May 22nd, 2009 06:00

new book title = Information Storage and Management also known as "ISM".  see if you can get it here:  http://education.emc.com/ISMBOOK

49 Posts

June 1st, 2009 11:00

Comments on ISM Book from Twitter.com (#ISMBook) and live Tweet Up from EMC World:

Ammar (attended in person):

• congratulations to all of you and your team - this is the right time to come up with this - this is the foundation blueprint for the storage market. 
  • CIO, CTOs would love this book as a reference to build their storage building block #ISMBook
  • a podcast or a community on this book would be of interest to a lot of people

@gminks Wouldn't that be cool? a CoP (community of practice) based on information & storage management! #emcworld #ismbook

@danimov Info Storage & Mgmt book from EMC is slick, great refresher for those that know and great intro for those that don't http://bit.ly/13IvWF

@beeks06 T @danimov: Info Storage & Mgmt book from EMC is great refresher for those that know & great intro 4 those that don't http://bit.ly/13IvWF

@pollypearson BRANDING so COOL: Bookstore at #EMC World just sold out of EMC employee-authored ISM (Geek for Geeks) Book.

@ErinMcElveen Good press for EMC? They claim they've written the "definitive" reference book on Information Storage. http://tinyurl.com/pcuvnf

@BrianZKeefe Thanks to all involved with #ismbook!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2009 09:00

An interesting twist on the ISM book for me. My son who is studying Security Systems and taking lots of Cisco focused courses was complaining that EMC technology and the company does not have much of a university presence. I got him the book and told him about EMC promoting an ISM course offering at local technical colleges. He was impressed and is reading it during the summer.

Ted Jaworski

ASN Program Manager

19 Posts

June 28th, 2009 06:00

Ted – Thanks for advocating for the EMC Academic Alliance program .

You are correct, that there aren’t enough colleges and universities teaching storage. However, with the availability of the ISM book and global trends such as virtualization, we expect increased demand from students and professors. I’m responsible for growing the program in North America. It isn’t just for technical colleges, but schools with Computer Science, Engineering and IT degree programs. Penn State and Ball State are just a few of the participating 4-year schools in the US. Globally, there are more than 300 schools in the program.

If anyone has questions or a referral, please contact me, yohannan_kim@emc.com .

Kim, EMC Academic Alliance Manager

No Events found!