Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2010 06:00

Where in the World......are YOU?

We/ve had some great introductions in the "who are you" thread, but I thought it might be interesting to share a little more about where all of our EMC Proven Professionals come from.  So tell us what country you're in, something others may not know about your where you live....whatever you like.

So, I'll start.  I live in Rhode Island (the smalles state in the United States).  It takes about 1 hour to drive from the northern tip of RI to the southern tip.  Rhode Island is known for our beautiful beaches; maybe some of you have heard of Newport?  Newport is a great little town with beautiful mansions that used to be used as summer homes by the rich and famous.  Now, they're tourist attractions.

Rhode Island is a small state, but many people joke that Rhode Islanders have to schedule a 'trip' to Newport and pack a lunch.  That's because we're all used to being tucked into our own little towns.

I work in Franklin, Massachusetts (USA) but luckily I live right on the border of Massachusetts and Rhode Island so it's not a long commute.

So, where are you from, and what would you like us to know about it?

452 Posts

June 17th, 2010 07:00

Hi Roy, I really don't know much about Amsterdam so am so happy to see your description.  I'd love to visit someday.

I forgot all about Rhode Island's film history.  Oh yeah, Me, Myself and Irene was filmed here; and I think that Scooby Doo was also filming in Providence, Rhode Island.  The Farrelly brothers are from Rhode Island, so they do much of their filming here.

Isn't that funny....I love Point Judith and you, from the Netherlands, reminds me about my own home state.

Anyone else want to join in; I'm ready to learn more!

211 Posts

June 17th, 2010 07:00

I go next.

I live in The Netherlands (not the smalles country, but it isn't big).  I live in the South in a place called 'Landgraaf' and It takes about 2,5 hour driving to Amsterdam. So what is there to tell about Amsterdam, I gues the most people recognize this city with all his beauty. Landgraaf is a small town with about 40.000 residents. Mining,  which emerged after 1890, led to major changes such as large industry  and a tremendous growth in population. Two  large mines were located Schaesberg: Oranje Nassau II mine  (1904-1971) and state my Wilhelmina (1906-1969).

I'm working in a mental healthcare organization for about 6 years already. 15 minutes driving from home. IT and healthcare are two complete different things. But It becomes more popular.

I worked hard to convince management about the sense and nonsense of storage management and Disaster recovery etc.

By the way Michelle; I visit last year Rhode Island because I was in Milford for a course. I drove to Point Judith. And who doesn't remember the movie Me, Myself & Irene with Jim carry.

211 Posts

June 17th, 2010 13:00

You must do visit Amsterdam. Unlike the USA it's easy travel here in Europe. In a couple of hours you can visit Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Rome and so on.  Distances in the USA are really big. I know because that is the experience I have gained in three states in the USA last year and this year. But the advantage is that you get to see much while you are driving.

The Netherlands is small and you're all over relatively quickly. We do have a very good public transport just as the UK and France and Germany.

I can continue to tell you all about things over here, but I want to give others the chance too

56 Posts

June 18th, 2010 06:00

I live in Bangalore ( The Silicon Vally of India), this is my work place. My native place is Berhampur... at the eastern part of India, just 5 kms away from the famous beach Gopoalpur-On-Sea. Its famous for tourism. You will find people from all other countries through out the year except rain season. Summer, winter and spring is the good time to spend here. A lot of trees, golden sand, beach, blue sea..... thats all describes this place.

I have attached few pics.... you may find it interesting :-)

Thank you

Sanjit Achary

5 Attachments

2.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2010 08:00

I'm from that little country to the north of the US called Canada :-) For anyone that doesn't know, yesterday was a national holiday celebrating our collective birthday as a country (not surprisingly known as Canada Day). For anyone that doesn't really follow North American geography too closely my reference to "little" was rather tongue in cheek too... If you leave out Alaska you could fit most of the rest of the States in the US inside Nunavut (Our newest Territory which used to be part of our North West Territory) without too much trouble.

Beyond that, there isn't a whole lot new to tell about Canada. Anyone who watched to opening ceremonies of the recent Winter Olympics will have got a good overview of Canada (just take William Shattner's monologue with a grain of salt PLEASE). I'm currently living in South Western Ontario which is the part of Canada that dips way down into the US just East of the center of our shared border. I actually grew up in (and still call "home") the beautiful province of Nova Scotia on Canada's East Coast. For anyone from outside Canada, if you are coming for a visit just skip Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal... head straight for Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland for an experience you won't want to miss! Of course I AM a bit biased against big cities ;-)

BTW - Michelle I know what you mean about the "long trip to the city" thing. Nova Scotia may be larger than RI, but it is by no means large by Canadian Province standards. Here in Ontario people may go from London to Toronto for the day (about 2 hours on the highway each way) while in NS growing up we would plan ahead the big trip to Halifax and make a whole day of it. We would usually stop halfway for a break and to stretch our legs. Of course it was only about an hour away from home, but when you grow up living in small towns that's just the way it is! Now I go back and may drive in to Halifax from my parent's house for dinner with a friend and drive back that night. They think I'm crazy. {Of course they are right, but not for the reasons they cite} *lol*

56 Posts

July 5th, 2010 02:00

Hi Allen,

Although, I have never been to Canada, I have seen Nova Scotia ( Melmerby Beach, Clam Harbour, Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Annapolis Valley,mountains of the Cabot Trail ) on NGC television channel.  Really a beautiful place.

452 Posts

July 6th, 2010 04:00

Wow!  Absolutely beautiful beaches; would make a great painting!

452 Posts

July 6th, 2010 04:00

Hi Allen,

I've been to Nova Scotia too.  When i was abouy 10 years old, my family vacationed there.  I remember miles and miles of potato farms (the 10 yo brain is a strange thing inded!)

Michelle

2.1K Posts

July 7th, 2010 13:00

Hey Sanjit, you'll have to get over for a visit sometime. It looks even better in real life :-)

So, you've seen a lot of the area around where I grew up (the heart of the Annapolis Valley, about 30 minutes from Hall's Harbour). For anyone who likes seafood, the best lobster in the world is available fresh off the boats at Hall's Harbour. They come off the boat into the tanks where you pick your own lobster and they steam it and serve it right there on the dock. Now there is a covered restaurant area on the dock but when I was younger you would just sit at a picnic table on the dock to eat it.

2.1K Posts

July 7th, 2010 13:00

Michelle, were you in PEI too? That's the area most famous for the potato farms, not that there aren't enough in NS as well.

We have just about every kind of agriculture imaginable, and lot's of various livestock on farms as well. I've seen everything from the standards (cows, pigs, chickens, horses, sheep, etc.) to the more exotics (Bison, Llamas and Alpacas, Ostriches and Emus, etc). You never know what you are going to find around the next corner!

452 Posts

July 8th, 2010 02:00

Allen, now  that you mention it, it was PEI.  I was just a youngster looking out a backseat wndow and seeing miles and miles of potato farms.  Beautiful!

Sounds like someday I'll have to go back,  Your description is just beautiful!

2.1K Posts

July 8th, 2010 08:00

I figured as much Michelle, but honestly the two provinces are very similar. PEI is even smaller than NS, but they are both mostly small communities with lots of farming and such... very scenic!

If ever you are headed back that way let me know and I'll help you plan to make sure you get to see the REALLY good stuff :-)

39 Posts

July 30th, 2010 08:00

Hello all,

I'm from the US, originally from the State of Rhode Island, now living in Milford, MA.

I enjoy Del's lemonade and Coffee milk, which isn't a wide spread drink outside of RI.

452 Posts

July 30th, 2010 09:00

That's two of us from the smallest state in the United States!  I love Dell's and coffee milk too, and I often drink from a bubbler :-)

That's a water cooler for those outside of Rhode Island!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 8th, 2010 00:00

I am from Bangalore, India !!

Working for tcs and client is EMC !!

Looking forward to know more people here to gain and share knowledge !!            

No Events found!