michelle81
3 Zinc

Writing a Knowledge Sharing Article? (Part 1)

We have lots of abstracts, so we know that many of you are getting ready to begin writing your Knowledge Sharing article.  Every week, I'll post a tip to help you make your article be the best it can be!

Part 1 is about creating your outline.  DON'T STOP READING NOW!

Outlining really isn't horrible, you can use any tool you want.... a mind mapping application, Word, a napkin; anything.  Think of your outline as the structure for your article, the way it will build and flow to a natural conclusion.

Articles typically begin with an Introduction.  An introduction is usually no longer than one page, and briefly introduces the topic, the problem it addresses, and what makes it relevant to the reader.  If you're really good, an introduction propels the reader into the body of your article.

Here's are some ideas for an Introduction:

• This article will describe / explain...............................
  • I first experienced (insert problem, issue, or opportunity) during.......................................
  • Many people were involved in helping me, including (roles, not names)
  • I'd like to share my experience and help you to .........................................................

Following the Introduction, define the flow of your article.  Depending on the content, it might be:

1.      Introduction
  2.      The Problem
  3.      How we Solved the Problem
  4.      Impact (this is the area where you can present cost savings, or customer satisfaction stories, or increased availability etc.)
  5.      Biography (include a short biography of your work experience, educational background, and be sure to include your EMC Proven Professional certifications)

or

1.      Introduction
  2.      The Product
  3.      How the product was used to.....
  4.      Impact
  5.      Biography

My best advice to start writing is to, well, start writing!  If you can think of your article in terms of a five slide presentation; with slides 1 (Intro) and slides 5 (Bio) set, all you need to do is identify the 3 broad categories that encompass your story.

Watch for the next issue of hints & tips!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos