Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2013 12:00

CCTK 2.2.0 won't 'enable' TPM during CM OSD task sequence

Hi, here's my situation.

I am working with Dell Lattitude 6510, BIOS version A15.

My task sequences to enable/activate the TPM during OSD(w/CM2012) are as follows...

#1. cctk --setuppwd=temppwd

#2. cctk --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=temppwd

#3. restart computer

#4. cctk --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=temppwd

#5. restart computer

#6. cctk --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=temppwd

The results from this are that the BIOS password is set, the TPM is enabled, and the BIOS password is removed...however, the TPM remains deactivated.

In searching the forums, this seems to be a common issue, yet I've found no resolution.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

July 26th, 2013 13:00

Hi Dustin.

Thanks for the reply.

I am running it as seen below -

I don't have an E6510 available but those commands are what I use on the E6410 and it works perfectly (Latest available BIOS Revision of course).

Are you running this command within WinPE or during the Full OS stage of the Task Sequence?  Also, is CCTK installed or are you referencing a custom package where the exe has been extracted?

I'd have to defer to someone with a little more technical expertise as to what functions within CCTK need HAPI, etc. to answer that.  Just been my experience that you need to install the HAPI Drivers (not just CCTK, but actually run the install command in WinPE) before the full command set for enabling/activating TPM will work inside of WinPE.

If you don't need it done in WinPE, you don't need to worry about the drivers.

Thanks. I did try installing the HAPI drivers early on, but perhaps I need to try that again.

My only comment/question would be, why do the other 3 steps(set pwd, enable tpm, remove pwd) work without the HAPI drivers being installed?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

You likely need to install the HAPI drivers in WinPE.  There are a ton of articles out there on how to do this (I can't recall any specific ones currently).

Just search for "Install Dell CCTK WinPE" or "Install Dell HAPI WinPE" and you'll find the info you need.

July 29th, 2013 08:00

Your commands are all correct.  It looks like this is an issue with CCTK (released in May 2013) not being able to activate TPM on BIOS Rev. 15 (released in July 2013).  I would suggest calling Dell Support and submitting a support incident so that the CCTK group can track and fix the bug.  

July 29th, 2013 08:00

I injected the HAPI drivers and I still get the same results.

Every step works except for 'Activate'.

Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

I've included more screen shots of my TS to inject the HAPI drivers in case I've got something wrong...

1.1K Posts

July 29th, 2013 10:00

Dustin is correct.  There was a BIOS issue with some systems that restricted the ability of CCTK to manage the TPM.  I don't believe the E6510 was a part of that issue, so please submit a support ticket to get it tracked and escalated.

July 30th, 2013 05:00

Hi Mike,

Please can i know the status of tpmactivation after 5th step.

Thanks and Regards,

Keerthan

August 1st, 2013 08:00

Hi Keerthan.

Sorry for the late response, I've been offline.

After the 5th step, the status is 'deactivate'.

1 Message

August 1st, 2013 23:00

Just a thought, have you tried an earlier version of BIOS? I've found it odd for some systems that an older version of bios works fine with CCTK, though I do not have much experience with the E6510.

August 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi Mike,

Looks like some BIOS issue here again.

While rebooting, was it ensured to boot to operating system and not to BIOS setup screen ?

August 2nd, 2013 06:00

Yeah, the laptop I'm testing with initially had A09 installed, but the behavior was the same. Thanks!

August 2nd, 2013 07:00

Hi Shrinidhi. I'm unsure of your question exactly. I'm using the CCTK in a CM task sequence, after the set password, enable, reboot, activate, remove password, and reboot steps, I apply the OS.

August 5th, 2013 02:00

Hi Mike,

The TPM enabling /activation through tools like CCTK/OMCI requires one to avoid going to BIOS setup screen, this is a BIOS requirement. So I asked it.

We shall get back on this.

No Events found!