jmarcum
1 Nickel

CCTK --tpmactivation=activate Fails in OSD

I have 1 Latitude 5440 that won't let me activate TPM using cctk. I updated to the latest BIOS and the problem persists. In the BIOS the "clear" option on the TPM is greyed out. I did deactivate it though and the problem persists. The same commands work on another identical 5440. Any idea what would cause this?

Here's the command and error:

ProgramName = 'x:\CCTK\x64\CCTK.exe --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=password'
Process completed with exit code 262
Error in Setting the Value.
Note: To set TPM - 1. Admin Password must be set , 2. TPM must not be owned and 3. TPM must be deactivated.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mstrippe
1 Copper

RE: CCTK --tpmactivation=activate Fails in OSD

hi,

Did  you enable the TPM first ?

The command is the following :

cctk.exe --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=password

If you did, then you have to activate the TPM manually (Via the BIOS setup) to be able to clear it.

J3L2404
1 Nickel

I have had this problem a couple times. What resolved it for me was to proceed with my imaging process to install Windows 7, and then launch tpm.msc to clear the TPM from there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi J3L2404,

Please refer to the video mentioned below for enabling and activating TPM using DCC (CCTK).

Note that clearing TPM is possible only in BIOS screen due to security restrictions.

Shrinidhi Katte

Software Dev. Senior Engineer

0 Kudos
jmarcum
1 Nickel

This issue seems to be something hardware related. I am able to image other laptops using this same task sequence and it works just fine. The TPM settings are done in the TS using CCTK.

0 Kudos

Hi J3L2404,

So, were you able to clear the TPM that was activated using DCC(CCTK)?

Shrinidhi Katte

Software Dev. Senior Engineer

J3L2404
1 Nickel

I'm not the original poster.. but no I never clear the TPM using CCTK because once it's set we don't care what it's set to as long as it's active and had ownership taken

0 Kudos
jmarcum
1 Nickel

Reviving this older thread.... The computer which I originally posted about was finally resolved somehow. One of the Technicians here was able to get it to image eventually but we are not sure what he did to actually solve the problem. Now we are having the exact same issue again. It seems like the issue arises when a laptop TPM was previously configured using CCTK and we are trying to reimage it again. What we would typically do is go into the BIOS and clear the TPM before imaging the laptop. This has always worked in the past, at least until these two recent computers.

The commands I run in my task sequence are in WinPE:

•  x:\CCTK\X64\HAPI\hapint -i -k C-C-T-K -p X:\CCTK\X64\HAPI\
  • x:\CCTK\x64\CCTK.exe --setuppwd=password
  • X:\CCTK\x64\CCTK.exe --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=password
  • Restart the PC back in to WinPE
  • x:\CCTK\X64\HAPI\hapint -i -k C-C-T-K -p X:\CCTK\X64\HAPI\
  • x:\CCTK\x64\CCTK.exe --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=password
  • x:\CCTK\x64\cctk --setuppwd=  --valsetuppwd=password
  • Restart the PC back in to WinPE

The failure is happening on the step where we do --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=password. The error is:

Error in Setting the Value. Note: To set TPM - 1. Admin Password must be set , 2. TPM must not be owned and 3. TPM must be deactivated. 

Command line returned 262 

Process completed with exit code 262 

0 Kudos

Hi Jmarcum, 

Please give us information on System Model number and the BIOS version of the machine where you see the issue. And also please give a try with the latest Dell Command | Configure 3.1 (cctk) version here

Thanks, 

Karthik.C

0 Kudos
jmarcum
1 Nickel

Would it be okay to simply replace cctk.exe in my ConfigMgr package with the new one or do I need to do more than that?

This is happening on a Latitude E6550 and it was also doing the same on a E6440. Both are using the latest BIOS.

0 Kudos