Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 6th, 2015 11:00

DCC - Cannot update BIOS settings via command line

I am scripting an automated installation of Bitlocker on Windows 7 and 8.1 (Enterprise) systems.  I am using the latest DCC and the CCTK programs that came along with it.  Systems have the latest BIOS updates and are fully patched.

I have been successful with several test systems (Win7, desktops, laptops (various models)).  I tried my scripts this morning on a Win8.1 laptop (Dell E6330) and as soon as my script runs the addition of the BIOS password required to make TPM changes ("cctk --setuppwd= ") I get the following error:

The required BIOS interfaces cannot be found on this system.

I get the same error when running any other CCTK command used in my script:
cctk --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=
cctk --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=

When I reboot into the BIOS, no password has been set (all settings say "Not Set") and the TPM is inactive.

I've updated the BIOS to the latest (A14) and I keep getting the error message above.  I know the CCTK commands I have scripted are correct, because they work on other systems.

I'm wondering what might be the issue with this laptop and how I may reach a resolution.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Greg

4 Posts

March 19th, 2015 14:00

Just a quick update letting everyone know how I resolved this:

I had to install HAPI.

On all other installations that I've tested, just having the HAPI subfolder inside the folder where CCTK.EXE was being housed was sufficient enough to work.  But for some reason, in this instance, once I installed HAPI and then ran my scripts again, they completed without issue.

I hope this helps someone else.  Seemed like a simply silly solution, but it is what it is.

January 19th, 2015 22:00

Hi Greg,

I see that you are trying to enable & activate TPM and not sure if the steps have been followed correctly.

Please follow the below steps and let me know if you need any help.

• Update the BIOS to latest
  • Follow the steps given in the video

4 Posts

January 21st, 2015 09:00

I am having the same exact issue. The link to the video is dead. I have updated my laptop to latest bios as well, any suggestions Dell?

January 22nd, 2015 01:00

Hi Greg,

I have updated the video link now. Can you please check now?

I notice that some steps followed needs to be changed as per the video.

Let me know the update.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 02:00

SHRINIDHI,

Thank you for updating the link. But the video still does not solve my problem. My syntax for the commands are correct, and they even run successfully sometimes. After running the CCTK commands successfully so many times they stop working on the laptop and i get “The Required BIOS interfaces cannot be found on this system”. Can you please advise what would cause this issue? OR if i am doing somthing wrong to cause it thanks!

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 09:00

this is the command line i use

there is = sign after valsetuppwd.

Yes, thanks for catching this in my original post (which I've just edited).  I didn't copy/paste out of my script, I typed it out when making the post.  I mistyped - and I confirmed that my script does have the lines correct.

The script I have works on other systems.  Just not this one device.  I know the motherboard was replaced a while ago, so I'm wondering if the TPM was not set correctly.  But I don't know about that either because I can manually go into the BIOS and make the changes that I can't automate via script.

37 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 09:00

this is the command line i use

there is = sign after valsetuppwd.

January 26th, 2015 23:00

Hi Idenzik,

Apart from commands, there are some minor things to take care. Each time a TPM command is run, BIOS expects a reboot to OS. Have you ensured the same?

Also, Can you please let me know the exact platform name & BIOS version? We can also try to reproduce the issue and check.

January 28th, 2015 23:00

Hi Idenzik,

We followed exact same steps as mentioned in the video on the below configuration system

• E6330
  • A14 BIOS
  • Windows 8.1 Professional

We are able successfully enable and activate TPM.

4 Posts

January 29th, 2015 06:00

Shrinidhi,

I understand that you've followed the steps in the video you posted and you had success.  However, I am still not having success.

Just because you reply to a message does not mean it's a suggested answer, please stop checking this box when posting.

What causes the error and what are the resolution steps?  If my motherboard did have the configuration set wrong when the motherboard was replaced, is there a tool I can use to correct this?

No Events found!