Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2015 00:00

DELL OptiPlex 9020 no IP address

Hey,

I am using SCCM 2012 R2 and PXE to deploy some dell optiplex 9020.
I already deployed about 110 9020 devices successful with my image.

Now we bought about 30 more which although work fine during windows PE phase of my task sequence, but after ConfigMgr Client was installed and the devices start first time into full windows operating system they do not receive an IP address even network card is installed correctly with same version like the working ones.

I was able to reproduce this  problem with the all newly ordered devices in different locations - so it is not related to server or network components.

I although tried to update the devices to latest BIOS version (A09) available and I tried to install the latest driver versions (we currently installed version 17 and I updated manually to version 19 which is the latest version from dell and version 20 which is the latest version from Intel website for "Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM), but all without success - the. devices still receive no IP address.

I although tested with manual windows 7 SP1 Ent installation from DVD - this works without any problems.

My image was created with Build & Capture task sequence (which of course does sysprep) without any manual doing on a hyper-V machine after Microsoft recommendations.

So my question is what am I doing wrong and where else could I search for a cause to this problem?

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Mk-maddin

2 Posts

March 30th, 2015 08:00

I've had exactly the same issue, but deploying using MDT/WDS. 

When deploying to any recent Dell hardware, WinPE loads the Intel L217-LM NIC driver, E1d62x64.inf version 12.11.77.1, as provided by Dell in their most recent driver packs. After completing the task sequence in WinPE, the computer reboots, goes into OOBE mode and boots Windows 7.

Upon arriving in Windows 7, the L217-LM NIC is unable to connect to the network. This cannot be resolved by any reasonable means. It seems the fix is to wait for an indeterminate amount of time, perhaps 4-6 hours, for the link to become active. Until then, the deployment will not complete.

It turns out that the problem is related to that precise version of the driver, 12.11.77.1, which is what Dell provide. We can roll back to the previous version which Dell provides, however this version will fail to install on the most recent hardware (e.g. Latitude xx50 series).

The resolution for now has been to inject a newer driver for this NIC, version 12.12.80.19, which is available direct from Intel. Dell are aware of the issue, and are looking at updating their driver packs.

Hopefully Dell are aware of this and doing something about it...

No Events found!