Highlighted
mindspeaker101
1 Copper

Dell Optiplex 390 Chipset Driver Failure

Hey guys.

I'm trying to figure out why the Intel Chipset Drivers (R293337) is a) freezing/failing on installation or installing, but not allowing me to reboot after installation. After installation, if I reboot, I would have to use "Last Good Known Config" because otherwise, Windows will not load. If using "Last Good Known Config" of course, the Chipset Driver that was installed is gone and needs reinstallation, causing us to go back around the same problem again.

About the computers...

Came preinstalled with Windows 7, but due to the job job I'm working at and department regulations, all computers had to be downgraded to Windows XP Pro SP3 using an image. Used Symantec Ghost to get it on the machines. The image is fine/not corrupt. All drivers install except for the chipset driver. All drivers were downloaded from the Dell.com site. Neither me or Systems Admin (my boss) can figure out why Chipset is causing the machine to freeze or stop Windows from loading after install.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
mindspeaker101
1 Copper

RE: Dell Optiplex 390 Chipset Driver Failure

Any ideas on this one yet?
0 Kudos
DELL-Warren B
4 Tellurium

RE: Dell Optiplex 390 Chipset Driver Failure

You may have a conflicting driver that is included in your image. I've seen that a few times. The only way around it is to identify and remove the offending driver before installing the new one.
0 Kudos