Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2009 15:00

Deploying custom Vista images to Dell M6400 and E6400 through SCCM

I have had nothing but trouble attempting to deploy a custom Vista image (32 and 64 bit) to the new Dell Precision M6400 and the Latitude E6400. Certain drivers will not install through SCCM. I've tried importing them, running the application installs through the OSD task sequence, and have had no success at all. Dell itself seems surprised that anyone would want to deploy a custom image to these systems, and that they'd use SCCM to do so. So much for their vaunted "partnership" with Microsoft.

Anyone have any ideas on installing the Bluetooth, Securty Manager, and WUSB drivers through SCCM? I've been fighting this for 6 weeks, and while Dell has finally helped clear up issues as to which drivers need to be installed, I'm still waiting for some help on how to make it work through SCCM OSD.

1 Message

February 9th, 2009 11:00

Is this an issue with geting the driver installed or the applicaiton installed? I ran into this same issue and it revolves around the fact that SCCM only installs the driver itself. When you would come through after the build process (outside of OSD) and manually try and install the application and driver, it wouldn't install. What I had to do is uninstall the driver manually and then install the driver and application. Since it appears you are installing BT, etc as part of your task sequence after mini-setup, I would remove the drivers from the driver store and use WMI variables as needed to perform the full application install.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2009 13:00

I've tried extracting the drivers from these apps, with varying degrees of success. Installing the drivers failed miserabley, and they've been deleted from the driver store. I've managed to extract files in an attempt to run the app installs silently, but the task sequence always fails at that point. I've followed guidance about making packages, using WMI variables, but there is always a 0x00000667 error in the task sequence.
No Events found!