Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2010 18:00

Driver packages for Dell in ConfigMgr task sequences (SCCM)

Can someone clarify something for me.
Dell seem to suggest that we should use Driver packages in SCCM for OSD/Win7 and have a single CAB file which supports (they say) the E6510, E6410, E5400.
When I add this CAB to a driver package, to I leave the file as one CAB or do I need to extract it first and then add it. I notice that the driver package task sequence is only asking for a folder location and not a CAB!

I have tried pointing at a folder containing nothing but the CAB but this in my testing didnt install the Nvidia driver and missed a number of USB drivers.
I dont know if the drivers that were installed were just because Win7 understood them anyway.

Should I be extracting the E6x10.cab file into a folder and then adding this as a package?
Also I see mention of drivers that still need executables running (perhaps NVIDIA is an example of this) and I see suggestions that you need to add these as an application. My question then is does the application in SCCM need to again contain the NVIDIA files or is it possible to reference either the CAB or extracted CAB files from the 'driver package' task sequence?

July 7th, 2010 10:00

Yes, you need to extract the cab out to a folder, then import that folder. You can find step by step instructions here:

http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Dell+Business+Client+Operating+System+Deployment

The Windows Vista Walk Through, should be the same process for Windows 7.

Regards,
Richard

7 Posts

July 9th, 2010 16:00

Yeah - that's working better, thanks Richard
No Events found!