Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2013 11:00

E7240/E7440 driver for MDT

I can not get these two machines to boot into the deployment share because it is missing the drivers for device :  

pci\ven_8086&dev_155a&subsys_05ca1028&rev_04

All the research I have done point to the nic card : Intel I218-LM

However I have installed all the drivers and imported them but it is still saying the correct drivers are not loaded. Any ideas? I even used the CAB file to see if this had the correct drivers with no luck. What am I missing? Thank you.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2013 14:00

I had the same issue, I then went to intel's website and downloaded drivers from the following links and then added them to my MDT point, updated the boot image and its now working!

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3706&DwnldID=18713&ProductFamily=Ethernet+Components&ProductLine=Ethernet+Controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Ethernet+Connection+I218-LM&lang=eng

3 Posts

October 11th, 2013 07:00

I downloaded the PROWin32.exe and PROWin64.exe from Intels website, from the link above.

Extracted the files to a folder.

I imported the files from the two extracted files into MDT.

PROWin32\PRO1000\Win32

PROWinx64\PRO1000\Winx64

Once i had the drivers in MDT I Updated the Deployment Share

Updated my PXE media

The Dell E7440 booted up file.

If you still need help send me your email and I can work directly with you on this one

3 Posts

October 10th, 2013 14:00

Hmm, I tried it again to confirm, and when I went to import drivers it said "not adding" those are the same ones I am using. I wonder if something else is wrong. I even did a complete regenerate. These are the only two models I am have a hard time with.

3 Posts

October 11th, 2013 12:00

Awesome, your very welcome.

3 Posts

October 11th, 2013 12:00

Thank you. I figured it out, WDS was not updating the LiteTouch.wim file. Manually removed it and re-added it. All works. Thank you for all your help!

8 Posts

March 18th, 2014 08:00

Hi,

Good afternoon.Need help on the below issue please.

-Test laptops Iam using are 2 * E7440 and 1*E7240. One laptop of model E7440 has our image installed and other two (1*E7440 & 1*E7240) are shipped from Dell with default Win 7 64 bit OS.

-Test desktops Iam using are Dell Optiplex 3020 & Dell 3010 . Both models have our own images of Win 7 64 Bit.

-Laptops and desktops are on same network .

-For OS deployments we have MDT 2012.

-While there are no issues with desktops, all the laptops mentioned above don’t connect to MDT deployments share . The detailed error message I get when I run a litetouch ISO is ‘A connection to the deployment share could not be made. Connection OK.Possible cause:invalid credentials. Retry : Try again to connect to the deployment share.’

-Have injected all possible network & storage drivers mentioned by Dell &  Intel into MDT boot image but the problem still persists. Still WinPE doesn’t detect network adapter wherein IPaddresses are not picked in WinPE mode.

-Have been testing each and every driver by manually loading them into Winpe mode to see if they pick up the IP addresses and I finally found one driver by name ‘e1d63x64.inf ‘ which I downloaded directly from Intel website. This one is picking IP Address in WinPE mode when loaded manually. Also have tested the connectivity to MDT server in WinPE mode with net use command and it was successful.

Have injected this driver into MDT Laptop deployment share, regenerated the ISO and tried again however Iam still unable to connect to the deployment share with litetouch ISO.

The above driver is very much part of set of network drivers on Dell website too.But it doesn’t work.

-Have also tried combination of network & storage drivers from Dell website  (along with the above one mentioned ) injecting them into the MDT laptop boot image but no luck.

-Every time I make changes to drivers in boot image,I update deployment share & recreate boot image .

-This very litetouch iso connects to  MDT deployments share for Dell desktop models 3010 & 3020 but have issues with laptop models E7440 & E7240. This means any connectivity or access issues can be ruled out. Also no problem with our image cause this happens even with brand new shipped laptops with your inbuild win 7 OS.

-Have tried all options suggested on internet,tested all the drivers suggested but no luck.

-For example I tried latest E7440 netwrok & storage drivers ,Dell Win PE drivers,drivers from Intel website,etc  individually as well as in combinations but the issue persists.

-Tried even with the drivers suggested by you but no luck,

Any help on this is appreciated.

1 Message

March 18th, 2014 11:00

Sounds like the problem I was having. Updating the share and regenerating the boot image did not work. I downloaded the drivers then I had to manually delete the WinPE LiteTouch wims create new ones then point the PXE server to use the new ones. 

8 Posts

March 19th, 2014 03:00

Hi, Thank you for your reply. We dont have SCCM configured yet just using MDT lite touch ISO /wims.

I too downloaded the drivers as suggested both from Dell / Intel.For every test I did ,I uploaded them to out of box drivers in MDT ,manually deleted the iso/wims that are created earlier in boot folder, then regenerated wim/iso altogether,burn iso to USB and try all over. Ran out of all the options.I even tested with wim files instead of ISO but no difference. Wim or ISO works fine for desktop models but not with these specified laptop models.

8 Posts

March 19th, 2014 05:00

Hi , Further this morning have tested the MDT litetouch ISO / WIM file that I created earlier on a different laptop model E5430 which is directly shipped from Dell with Win 7 professional. WinPE works fine and Iam able to connect to MDT deployment share straight away with no issues.

So from over all testing from my end can confirm that there are no issues with our Win 7 image or MDT 2012. The very same litetouch ISO works fine on models Dell Optiplex 3010, 3020, Latitude E5430 but does not work on laptop models E7440 & E7240.

Thank you.

March 20th, 2014 23:00

Hi,

In our environment we did OS Deployment on below OSes on E7440 using MDT 2013 and MDT 2012 without any issue.

OSes we tested - Win 7(x64) , Win 8(x64)  and Win 8.1(x64) 

Can you please provide more information on this

MDT Setup details

Is MDT integrated with ConfigMgr 

Error logs or Screenshots

Thanks,

Palani Raja

8 Posts

March 21st, 2014 05:00

Hi ,

Thank you for your response. Few details are as below:-

OS we are trying to deploy is Win 7 (x64)

MDT setup is MDT 2012 Update 1

MDT is not yet integrated with ConfigMgr

Error which I get when I  run litetouch ISO on these laptops is "‘A connection to the deployment share could not be made. Connection OK.Possible cause:invalid credentials. Retry : Try again to connect to the deployment share.’

This very litetouch ISO for Win 7(x64) works fine on desktop models 3020,3010 & laptop model E5430.

But on E7440 / E7240 ,it throws above error and upon checking have identified that WinPE doesn't pick IP Addresses.Have put numerous combinations of netwrok/storage drivers that I downloaded both from Intel & Dell websites into WinPE boot image and tried but so far no luck.

Also went to command prompt in WinPE,was testing driver by driver by manually loading them usinf drvload.I finally found one driver by name ‘e1d63x64.inf ‘ which I downloaded directly from Intel website. This one is picking IP Address in WinPE mode when loaded manually. Also have tested the connectivity to MDT server in WinPE mode with net use command and it was successful.

Have injected this driver into MDT Laptop deployment share, deleted existing wim/iso ,regenerated the ISO and tried again however Iam still unable to connect to the deployment share with litetouch ISO.

Have tried all the Win PE drivers that are there on the Dell websites for these models but no luck.

Thanks again.

March 23rd, 2014 02:00

Hi,

Thanks for the details,

I guess the problem when specifying the credentials in the bootstrap.ini(located in DeploymentShare\Control). Mention the correct domain name with credential then update the Deployment share in DeploymentWorkbench console and replace the Litetouch ISO which is in WDS Boot Images folder if not updated automatically.Then do a deployment. I hope it should work now.

Please use the latest WinPE cab and driver cab that will be available in support.dell.com

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-e7440-ultrabook/drivers

Thanks,

Palani Raja

8 Posts

March 26th, 2014 10:00

Hi Palani,

Good evening. Thank you so much for the response. Have resolved this issue last Friday and Iam sorry for not updating the blog.

My observations in fixing this issue is as below:-

-Error I was getting when I  ran litetouch ISO on these laptops (E7440 & E7240) was "‘A connection to the deployment share could not  be made. Connection OK.Possible cause:invalid credentials. Retry : Try again to connect to the deployment share.’

-This very litetouch ISO for Win 7(x64) works fine on desktop models 3020,3010 & a laptop model E5430.

-Both E7440 & E720 has same network & WinPE drivers as per Dell website . www.dell.com

-These drivers won’t pick IP Addresses in WinPE mode even on new laptops with standard Win 7 Image that is shipped by Dell.Hence when they are injected into Boot image they don’t work either .

-Only the drivers downloaded from intel website worked which should not have been the case.

Working drivers are in the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3299&DwnldID=18713&ProductFamily=Ethernet+Components&ProductLine=Ethernet+Controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+82579+Gigabit+Ethernet+Controller&lang=eng

-Deleted all the drivers from WinPE boot image ,loaded only Win7 64 bit one's from Intel website,changed the option in MDT  to include 'everything' in the selection profile for the boot image ,recreated iso and the issue was resolved.

I now have single litetouch iso with which I can connect to deployment share from all the desktop & laptop models in the business.

Have send all the test results to Dell Support/ Technical team and adviced them to do something about this while more people waste time on this WinPE stuff for some of these model laptops.

Thanks & Regards,

Madhavi NB

No Events found!