Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2015 04:00

E7450 SCCM Build

Hi All,

Am having some issues trying to build an E7450 from SCCM 2012 via PXE Boot. I've imported the Dell Driver Cab for WinPE 5, and have imported the dell driver cab for the E7450. I've added the network drivers to the x64 boot image but am still having a  problem with it not picking up an IP address. To me this suggests the network drivers are wrong? has anyone got any ideas, or got a solution from when they have built them?

Thanks 

7 Posts

March 20th, 2015 09:00

Solution for you guys, as helped by dell support:

1) Install Windows ADK (www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx), selecting WinPE

2)Take the WinPE.wim file from the install directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us)  and place in an easy to remember directory

3)Download the drivers direct from intel (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23073/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2012-R2) and run the installer.

4)Extract the network drivers from the temporary folder that is created. You are looking for the NDIS63 and 64 folders

5)Copy these drivers to an easy to remember location

6)Using DISM mount WinPE and import the network drivers from the driver location

7)Unmount the WinPE Wim image, and from there import into SCCM 2012

8)Apply the Image to the relevant task sequence and boot

5 Posts

March 20th, 2015 10:00

My issue is a bit different I guess. By downloading the drivers from Intel and injecting them into my WinPE boot package I am able to PXE boot. The problem I'm running into is after the PE phase, the NIC driver doesn't get installed either from the package I made from the Dell .cab or from the driver package I built based on the Intel download. 

7 Posts

March 20th, 2015 10:00

I've just experienced that, im hoping that the drivers I've got working in WinPE will now work in the TS. Just updating driver packages now. 

1 Message

March 22nd, 2015 06:00

Jtport - the above worked for me. Thanks!

March 23rd, 2015 01:00

Hi ,

With respect to the .cab files, we ensure we include only well tested versions of drivers. Based on the environment they run, drivers present different issues hence we only include drivers that are tried and tested. We will make a working driver available as soon as possible. Meanwhile glad to know there are some workarounds available.

As always we are here to listen to your issues and provide solution on a timely fashion.

-Sreejith.

March 23rd, 2015 09:00

While this may be a work-around, I'm not sure what other considerations are needed.  

According to:

blogs.technet.com/.../understanding-the-adk-for-windows-8-1-update-and-configmgr-osd.aspx ;

Windows PE version 5.1 is not needed for Configuration Manager and can actually be problematic if you try to use it. Windows PE 5.0 can continue to be used to deploy Windows 8.1 Update. There is a documented process to upgrade Windows PE to version 5.1, but this should be considered incompatible with Configuration Manager at this time.

I wouldn't say this issue is answered until compatible drivers are issued.

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 13:00

I am also having this Issue with a new 7450 we purchased. When it boots to PE I am unable to load the network card both in 32-bit and 64-bit.

Thanks for looking into this

7 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 14:00

Guessing the solution I had with loading the WinPE drivers into a WinPE 5.1 using DISM didnt work? 

4 Posts

March 24th, 2015 13:00

When we try to import the WINPE5.0 cab set we get:

I amd able to import some of the drivers, but not the one related to the I218

The selected driver is not applicable to any supported platforms.

15 Posts

March 25th, 2015 10:00

We are having SCCM 2007 OSD build issues with an E7450 too.

We have downloaded the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM version 12.12.80.19 and imported to SCCM however the laptop builds but fails when it gets to 100% installing devices with the same error appearing as here - www.danielclasson.com/sccm-osd-issue-kernel-mode-driver-framework

Our Kernel driver is up to date - 1.11.9200.16648

The drivers I have imported are from the 20_0_CD, version 12.12.80.19 as above

What I have noticed it that the adapter is I218-LM but importing to SCCM shows 217-LM.  Where is this 218-LM driver??

There is another thread on this here too - en.community.dell.com/.../19611417

1 Message

March 25th, 2015 17:00

Can you give me some insight into this??? I don't understand why I can't just import the drivers and add them to the boot image like I've done in the past... Thanks,

-Jeremiah

15 Posts

March 26th, 2015 04:00

The short answer is - because it doesn't work!

All our other laptops build fine but I guess with the e7450 there is an issue with one or more of the drivers, either corrupt, incorrect version etc.  We are going to create a new TS and add the drivers separately, seeing how far the build gets after each.  Very long winded but possibility the only way unless anyone else has any ideas

We built the e7450 using a bootable USB stick from a Windows 7 enterprise image and it built fine (missing most of the drivers of course) however the touch screen worked without any other drivers!  (We initially thought it could be touch screen driver related)

edit - we have also dug around in smsts and setupact logs.  From info found we disabled all unsigned drivers but this has not made any difference.  There is nothing in the setupact.log that points to a certain driver

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2012889

38 Posts

March 26th, 2015 09:00

We are a College and just started receiving these model s and are having issues finding PE 5 drivers that work with them. We are using LANDesk 9.6 Sp1. Pxe works fine but PE cannot get an IP so I am assuming the nic card drivers in PE are not working.  I have tried  the Dell drivers located here at this site as well as the Intel reference drivers.  Please advise.

15 Posts

March 26th, 2015 10:00

We added the WinPE 3.0 Driver Pack A15 from Dell to both the Custom Boot Images x86 and x64.  We could then get an IP.  Whether or not it is the correct driver is another thing.  One or more drivers are not working for sure - just to find which

edit - you also have to change settings in laptop bios such as disable secure boot, enable legacy option ROMs, enable UEFI network stack, enable w/PXE, SATA operation set AHCI (instead of RAID)

4 Posts

March 27th, 2015 06:00

I tried the suggestion from Alex_1984. When I boot to the boot wim I receive a message that the network interface cannot be detected. Any help would be great.

No Events found!