Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2015 04:00

E7450 SCCM Build

Hi All,

Am having some issues trying to build an E7450 from SCCM 2012 via PXE Boot. I've imported the Dell Driver Cab for WinPE 5, and have imported the dell driver cab for the E7450. I've added the network drivers to the x64 boot image but am still having a  problem with it not picking up an IP address. To me this suggests the network drivers are wrong? has anyone got any ideas, or got a solution from when they have built them?

Thanks 

15 Posts

April 7th, 2015 07:00

Correct.  We have the correct framework drivers.  

However importing drivers such as the Intel thermal framework drivers causes the same error message.  If then breaking them down and removing the thermal framework manager driver then it builds properly.

The ST microelectronics Windows 8 drivers also caused the same issue.

Yes, two more yellow bangs.  Wifi and Dell control vault.  We are creating packages and programs for these dirty drivers pointing to the correct needed MSI's

7 Posts

April 7th, 2015 07:00

We are having the same issue however even after we disabled the thermal and microelectric drivers are still getting the "Windows could not configure one or more system components" error.  

This is frustrating that you EOL the 7440 and have a poorly tested replacement as the alternative.  

2 Posts

April 7th, 2015 08:00

So we are 4 pages in and a month further... Dell, any suggestions?

15 Posts

Same frustrations here, Frank.

We deploy with SCCM and the best solution that I've come up with is to add the driver packages as Applications in SCCM, then wrote some powershell to detect the presence of the hardware with drivers that do not import properly and need to be installed after the OS is on the PC. The script queries Win32_PNPEntity via WMI looking for hardware IDs and then adds a Task Sequence Variable that we use in an Install Applications task to get the drivers installed. Convoluted as all get out, but there's not much else we can do.

So far, I've had to add the drivers you mentioned for the 7550, a couple of WiFi/Bluetooth cards, and the AMD R5-240 video card that ships with some Optiplex desktops. 

To top it off, the BIOS is also buggy and causes problems with our full disk encryption software. (Link

15 Posts

JT, for what it's worth, I was able to get things working when using USB media to boot but no luck with PXE for some reason. I'm not sure what the difference between the two would be.

15 Posts

frankmyl - You cannot simply disable them once they are imported unfortunately.  We tried this and it didn't work (got the same error when they were disabled) 

If they were not imported at all though, then it does work.  This is what made it more difficult sieving through drivers - We broke Intel drivers down into 3 different folder names to make it easier.

Just about to kick off a build when dist points have updated to see if 2 packages in MDT database for dirty drivers are working too.

5 Posts

April 7th, 2015 17:00

It look like the driver for the i217-LM also works for the i218-LM. I obtained that driver from the Intel's website and added it to the packages I made for the E7240 and E7250. It worked for the 7240, I don't have a 2nd 7250 to test on. 

April 8th, 2015 01:00

Alex,

Can you please do the "dir" I was asking about previously, in the WIN PE environment?. Let us focus on the network issue. We can look into other drivers later. They shouldn't fail ideally. Network as we see has been reported as having an issue, by a few here.

April 8th, 2015 01:00

Hi VV2015,

We are trying our best to help. Here is one example. But there is some aberration since a lot of issues are being presented here. We are trying our best to do the RCA. The solution will definitely come in one of our subsequent releases of driver cab.

Solution for you guys, as helped by dell support:

1) Install Windows ADK (www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx), selecting WinPE

2)Take the WinPE.wim file from the install directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us)  and place in an easy to remember directory

3)Download the drivers direct from intel (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23073/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2012-R2) and run the installer.

4)Extract the network drivers from the temporary folder that is created. You are looking for the NDIS63 and 64 folders

5)Copy these drivers to an easy to remember location

6)Using DISM mount WinPE and import the network drivers from the driver location

7)Unmount the WinPE Wim image, and from there import into SCCM 2012

8)Apply the Image to the relevant task sequence and boot

15 Posts

April 8th, 2015 08:00

Hi Sreejith,

Yes - checking \filerepository shows multiple files starting with e1... e.g. e1c62x64.inf_amd64_neutral_08fa4873ba6284ba

Back on the winPE network issue - Has anyone tried updating with the latest HD controller and Network drivers as I suggested?

I217-LM v 12.12.50.4
Chipset SATA RAID controller - 13.2.0.1016
AHCI controller - 13.2.0.1016
Realtek USB GBE family controller - 7.11.716.2014

These all have a version date 06/14 and are from the WinPE 3.0 Driver Pack A15 

Thanks

10 Posts

April 9th, 2015 13:00

We evaluated a unit. We had to inject/import both the Windows 8 and Windows 7 drivers for the NIC, storage, etc - whatever devices didn't work. Because our version of WinPE was based on Windows 8 and we were deploying Windows 7.

15 Posts

April 9th, 2015 16:00

Did you manage to inject all the Cab drivers and have a working build? We are using WinPE 3.0 deploying Windows 7 and had to exclude some Windows 8 drivers. Now have a working SCCM build but has taken a lot of messing around

April 10th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

Meanwhile we have come up with updated Win PE cabs. This would fix a few issues. These are available at the location below.

en.community.dell.com/.../2065.dell-command-deploy-driver-packs-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment

We are working with Intel for the latest version and that also will be made available ASAP.

Alex - Thanks a lot for running the checks. We have noted the behavior and it will help us triage the issues.

3 Posts

April 10th, 2015 12:00

This should do the trick, but also the NIC requires Windows 7 Kernel Mode Driver Framework be updated to 1.11, which is not the default framework for Win7.

This was the case on the E7440 as well.  I injected NIC drivers into my WIM, and then added the KMDF patch in the post-install, pre-first boot task sequence.

This is where I got hung up a year ago, but I had no issues transitioning from E7440 to E7450.

38 Posts

April 10th, 2015 13:00

We need Win PE 5 (Windows 8.1 32bit nic drivers) for this model) Any suggestions? Dell tech support does not even know what PE is.. I mean really?

No Events found!