Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2013 22:00

Is it possible to install these .CAB driver packages manually?

I have a special case user who just installed a copy of stock Win7 Professional on his XPS 14 laptop. Is it possible to install the driver .CAB package without going through the re-imaging process? Can i use pkgmgr.exe in command prompt to install the package manually?

Package in question:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/3853.xps-14-l421x-windows-7-driver-cab.aspx

Thanks for your help!

1.1K Posts

October 16th, 2013 09:00

Yes you can create a batch file in the appropriate architecture folder (x86 or x64) of your extracted CAB file, and include the following line in the batch file

for /f %%i in ('dir /b /s *.inf') do pnputil.exe -i -a %%i

It should recurse the folders and install the drivers.  You will need admin access for the drivers to install.

I've only tried it once, so let me know if it works for you.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2014 20:00

Sorry to revive an old thread but Warren Byle your method worked flawlessly for me on 2 3440's.

Step 1: use 7zip or winrar etc to extract the .cab file to a directory

Step 2: create .bat  inside either x86 or x64 folder in the extracted directory containing the line of code you provided.        

for /f %%i in ('dir /b /s *.inf') do pnputil.exe -i -a %%i

Step 3: Run .bat

2 Posts

October 16th, 2013 20:00

Thanks for the quick response Warren. That person will come in on Friday, and I will give your method a try. I'll let you know how it will go.

One more question, do I have to install the drivers in a particular order? I notice you just order them by file size in code you provided.

1.1K Posts

October 17th, 2013 11:00

No, the PNPUTIL tool will parse the files in logical order and put the drivers into the driver store. 

April 24th, 2015 10:00

Warren Byle thank you so much for this solution! You have just saved me hours of running installers!!! The batch file works perfectly.

FYI you may have to approve a few of the installers along the way - it's not completely hands-off. However, all of the drivers are installed in about 3-4 minutes!

1 Message

January 28th, 2016 06:00

batch file worked like a charm!  Thanks!!

1 Message

July 30th, 2016 16:00

Is there a tutorial how I create the .bat ?  when i run the bat do i cmd: run .bat?  

April 12th, 2017 11:00

We can also use the expand command instead of third-party compression utilities.

Expand –F:* "Source.cab" "Destination Path"

For example:

Expand –F:* "S:\Shares\sources\New Drivers\*.cab" "S:\Shares\sources\New Drivers\Not Imported"

1 Message

December 14th, 2017 08:00

Try:

at command prompt (as admin):

start /wait pkgmgr /ip /m:c:\folder\nameofcab.cab /quiet

<*replace folder where cab is located and nameofcab with the name of the cab*>

3 Posts

June 8th, 2022 07:00

Dear All,

I used the same very helpful solution but I had to review a bit the batch string:

for /f "delims=" %%i IN ('dir /B /S *.inf') DO pnputil.exe /add-driver "%%i" /install

explanation:

"delims=" is useful if you have spaces in the path where you are working

/add-driver "%%i" /install will add the driver and it will install in the path retrieved from the FOR; also here I used " " to take all the path if you have spaces.

I hope this helps

WBR

Marco

No Events found!