Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2011 04:00

Latitude E5420

we are using wds with mdt to deploy windows 7, i have added the cab files into the E5420 folder this in turn looks for the E5420 when deploying, on all the other models we have it picks the drivers up fine, but with the E5420 it doesn't pick the drivers up at all........please could i have some help on this as i have 25 laptops to image that came in today

19 Posts

June 29th, 2011 11:00

Can you give a little more information about how you call drivers in your environment? Do you have all the drivers loaded in MDT and let Microsoft Plug n play figure out which drivers go where or do you have some folder structure for the drivers and use MDT variables to plug in those paths for you?

June 29th, 2011 12:00

ok, we use mdt to deploy the image, within the task sequence we have a sequence called set task sequence variable first part is drivergroup001 then the value is Windows 7 x86\%Make%\%Model% this works for all the dells apart from the E5420's i have downloaded the driver cab from this site and injected them into the folder structure out-of-box drivers then Windows 7 x86 then Dell Inc. then Latitude E5420 obv without the then in the path

i just don't get why it isn't picking them up

19 Posts

June 29th, 2011 13:00

Make sure you don't have any typo's. Sounds simple but sometimes there a not a space where there needs to be one. Also check to see what WMIC returns as the model name. If you don't know how to do that:
1. Open a command prompt
2. Type WMIC, press enter
3. Type CSPRODUCT Get name
That will display the name that MDT is reading and processing to get the computer name. Also I would check the %Make%...same steps as above but "CSPRODUCT Get Vendor". I've seen "Dell Inc." also displayed as "Dell Computer Corp" and that could cause the drivers not to load correctly because MDT can't find the correct folder.

One more thing to check are the MDT log files. ZTIGather, ZTIDrivers and also the SMSTS. Use Trace32.exe to open the log files. It makes them easier to understand and find issues.

Let me know what you find

June 29th, 2011 14:00

cheers will try this tomorrow :-)

June 30th, 2011 02:00

ok ive looked at the mdt side and everything is how it should be, i have looked at the smsts log also i cant see anything that stands out, i could send the log if it helps?

19 Posts

June 30th, 2011 08:00

sure you can send me the log files. I sent an email to you dell account with my personal email address because you can send files through dell.

1 Message

July 1st, 2011 01:00

Hi, I know I should opened a new thread but thought to share with you guys here. We have Dell Latitude E5420 machines in bulk too, you must have noticed that Dell has designed a combo port of I/O of Microphone/Headphone. Could you guys please confirm me which headphone set i would use which can work with for both of the functions at the same time i.e. with microphone as well as with headphone. I will be highly obliged for the any recommended solution you guys have tried .. Cheers .. Wasique

6 Posts

June 27th, 2013 07:00

Hi Guys

Im having this same problem with the E5420 and MDT 2012, anyone found a fix for this?

No Events found!