Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2014 11:00

Latitude E6440 OSD "installing devices" pause

I'm having some weirdness with our TS and some new Dell Latitude E6440s we got recently. I'm using the latest driver pack for Windows 7 (A06) in our SCCM 2007 environment. I have all the drivers imported from that CAB and it is applied during the TS specifically for that model through a Driver Package. But I have also tried just TSing an E6440 with auto-apply, but am seeing the same thing.

Basically it gets to "Setup is installing devices" and starting at 65%, it will increase a percentage point ever 10 minutes or so. Eventually it will reach 100%, blue screen, and continue on the TS. The TS will finish just fine, though when we boot the laptop it will say it's recovered from an unexpected shutdown. And the wireless won't connect. deleting it from the Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall the driver allows it to work again. No other oddities in the Device Manager.
I have already tried removing all the drivers and re-importing. In the past when I have run into something like this, updating any out of date drivers to the newest version usually resolved this kind of problem. Unfortunately, the A06 pack already has the newest drivers. One oddity is that the new machines all shipped with BIOS A08, even though A07 is all that's available from Dell.
Has anyone else seen this? (the pausing and incrementing every 10 minutes) I am TSing another one right now to check the logs more thoroughly, but can anyone point me in a good direction?
Thanks

January 7th, 2015 08:00

The Blue Screen error I received is the following: "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" though I don't have the specific error code in front of me.

And yes, I deploy to multiple Dell models with zero problems. I use WMI filtering and the CAB packages for all of them. The only issue I had is with this specific model and CAB.

Through another mail list, they pointed me to the ATI video driver in the current version of the CAB. Although the models of E6440 that we deploy only have Intel Graphics cards, I took their suggestions and removed the ATI video driver from the package. That fixed the problem. No more hangs, no more blue screens during the TS, and the wireless card is operational after the TS.

1 Message

July 29th, 2015 13:00

I had this issue.  SCCM 2012 R2 SP1.  It sat at 51% for an hour.  I noticed the USB stick that i used as as boot media device kept flashing.  I unplugged the usb drive an it finished in minutes.

Dell 7250

January 6th, 2015 03:00

Hi Eric,

Thank you for choosing Dell and for using our driver cab. I had a few questions regarding this to root cause this issue although it does look like issues related to specific drivers...

Have you used the same setup(SCCM/tasksequence) to deploy to a different model and you see different results? - You could replace the "cab file" and any wmi query that filters the model out..

Did you get a chance to see the error code that comes up during the BSOD. If yes please do share with us.

I am just trying to arrange a provision for you to share the logs (setupapi logs) and crash dump(BSOD). Studying them might help us figure out which driver is causing this delay. Also our tests didn't show such a behaviour. But I will try that too at my end.

January 21st, 2015 05:00

Hi Eric,

We re-tested the driver cab on both Win 7 x64 and Win 7 x86 and couldn't reproduce the issue. We used the driver cab as it is posted online. Can you please post the link to the mailing list you have mentioned. It will help us to understand how removing ATI driver fixed the issue.

Thanks,

Sreejith.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 17:00

I'm having this exact issue in SCCM 2012 R2 with a slightly different model, the E6540.

My task sequence seems to run successfully with no errors and the machine reboots. A couple of things happen in quick succession and then I get the Setup is installing devices message. It zips to 45% in just a few seconds, but once the video driver installs [I can tell it's video because all of a sudden, the fonts get smoother]--it ticks up to 46%.

From that point it ticks up a few percent per hour--I started four machines when I got to the office this AM. Three of them were stuck at 46%, one was stuck at 65%. By lunch time, they were all still at less than 80%.

Over the last several weeks, I have tried this repeatedly and the really strange thing is randomly one of these machines applied the image and all drivers successfully and reboots to the OS like it's supposed to.

Additionally, we configure our E6540s and E6440s to be identical. The E6440s work every time. It's weird that in Erik's situation he's having trouble with E6440s :)

Like his when I remove the AMD video drivers, it all works like it's supposed to. Unlike him, I do have AMD video so omitting the driver is not an option.

Any/ all thoughts appreciated.

1 Message

March 9th, 2015 09:00

I read somewhere to try disabling Free-Fall, I did, and it worked for me so far...
Try disabling Free-fall in bios with cctk.exe
BootHDFirst,WOL,LowPWR+Pass.cmd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
%~dp0cctk.exe -i %~dp0BootHDFirst,WOL,LowPWR+Pass.ini -l w:\Bios_HDFirst.txt
exit 0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BootHDFirst,WOL,LowPWR+Pass.ini
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[cctk]
bootorder=legacytype,+hdd,+nic,+embnic,+cdrom
embnic1=on
hdfreefallprotect=disable
lowpowers5=disable
wakeonlan=enable
setuppwd=password

Then Enable FreeFall at the end of the task sequence with ...

Enable-FreeFall.cmd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
%~dp0cctk.exe -i %~dp0Enable-FreeFall.ini
exit 0

EnableFreefall.ini
[cctk]
valsetuppwd=password
hdfreefallprotect=enable

1 Message

March 10th, 2015 13:00

We had the same issue at my company with the 6440s.  After digging through driver installation logs I was able to identify the cause to be driver-related.  It seems Dell is shipping some of it's new drivers with a new version of driver framework, which causes blue screens if the machine is not updated beforehand.

To fix this we simply inject the updated driver framework patches before Sysprep.  This page explains more: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2013/10/07/kernel-mode-driver-framework-1-11-update-what-it-is-and-why-you-need-it

Hope this helps!

3 Posts

March 11th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

We have received new T7910,E7250,M2800 models to our organization. We had M6800,M4800 and etc.. in use. When i tried to inject NIC driver into our existing WinPE image which we are using for SCCM 2007 OSD, Other models except E7250 are not getting added into our domain as we Kept that as one of our tasks in Task sequence. I could able to find that E7250's NIC is I218 and others are supported I217. We cannot use different WinPEs for each laptop. Please help me to make this as single Winpe and work.

March 13th, 2015 11:00

Same issue as Mr.Pal

Received a new E7450 that wouldn't PXE Boot with existing WinPE drivers

Imported E7450 driver pack into SCCM and created a package (WMI filtered per model)
Updated WinPE x64 image with latest Dell provided drivers – WinPE 4.x A05 (09/15/2014)

E7450 imaged successfully

Existing E6440 OSD's all started hanging @ 66% (installing devices) after a normal SCCM reboot (E6440 & E6450)

Updated E6440 driver pack to latest Dell provided and still hanging @ 66% on device installation

We DO have the Windows KMDF 1.11 update in our image and have been imaging fine before the E7450 change.  I believe the newer Dell version Intel NIC driver I2xx is to blame.

MXH3C
DellVersion: A09
VendorVersion: 19.2.0.0

Very frustrating –

March 16th, 2015 09:00

Update:

Extracted and imported I217-LM driver direct from Intel and removed any trace of the Dell CAB version I217 and now my E6440’s are imaging again.

Driver version under SCCM shows:

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM
9/28/2014 10:00 AM

March 18th, 2015 06:00

Hi ValuedCustomer

We are looking into this issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

March 23rd, 2015 06:00

Mr Pal,

We are working on this issue. There are different behaviors identified and we have more than one thread about this issue. Can you please confirm if Mr ValuedCustomer's solution work for you.

- Download I217 driver from Intel and install?

Your response is valuable as it will help us narrow down to the root cause.

-Sreejith.

15 Posts

March 25th, 2015 10:00

I have tried this what ValuedCustomer suggested and it does not work for an e7450

Should the imported drivers not show I218-LM?

Similar thread here - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/f/4448/p/19622333/20745810#20745810

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 06:00

I am also having this problem even with our E5550's it just sits around 67% and increases about a 1% every 10 minutes.  

I will try using the intel drive off the site today just wanted to input that I am having the same issue.  

We have the latest driver pack and WDF 1.1.  All other computers using this same task sequence are fine.

1 Message

October 9th, 2015 06:00

This fixed the same issue for me on a Latitude E7450!

Thanks a million for sharing with the world!

No Events found!