Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2010 07:00

Latitude e6510 Nvidia Video Issue with Windows XP

I saw mentioned in another thread that Dell recognizes an issue internally with the 6510 and Nvidia Video drivers with Windows XP, but I was not able to find any threads that mentioned what this issue was. We are switching over to a Dell shop and I am working on adapting our Universal Image to work on the Dell systems and am running into an issue with the e6510s. I am able to load the drivers for all of the hardware into our image, but when I add the Video Driver for the NVidia card, once I reboot I get a blank screen. It sounds like the system is booting up behind the blank screen, but I get nothing on the screen itself.

Here is our configuration:

BIOS: Updated it to A03 to see if that would fix it
Imaging Process: We deploy a Sysprepped Image file to the workstations via ZenWorks and allow Sysprep Mini-Setup to run on first boot to install required drivers from a Drivers folder that we inject into the universal image via an add-on image.

Anyone else having similar issues with Windows XP and the video drivers? Anyone have a solution?

July 7th, 2010 10:00

We had the same issue with the E6410 (and while we have not yet tested it, I suspect we will also see it on the E6510). The problem for us appeared to be both the Intel Chipset and the Nvidia HDAudio/Video drivers. We experienced two different problems (though both very similar) until we took 4 drivers out of the mini-setup section and installed them later. So basically we removed the drivers for:

Intel SOL
Intel MEI
Nvidia HD Audio
Nvidia Graphics

Then after a couple of reboots (our process is scripted through multiple reboots) we used devcon.exe to install the Intel SOL and MEI drivers, the setup.exe to install the HDAudio and Graphics drivers, and devcon.exe again to cleanup the device manager...

You would need to verify the Hardware IDs, but this is based on what we had in the E6410s:

C:\Drivers\Intel\devcon.exe Update "C:\Drivers\Intel\SOL\mesrl.inf" PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B67&CC_0700
C:\Drivers\Intel\devcon.exe Update "C:\Drivers\Intel\MEI\HECI.inf" PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64
C:\Drivers\Nvidia\setup.exe -s -SMS
C:\Drivers\Intel\devcon.exe Rescan

Now that I look back at it, I'm not sure why we left the "&CC_0700" on the SOL Hardware ID. That should not have been necessary. But anyway, you get the idea... Also, I don't think the devcon rescan is necessary, we were having some issues with orphan entries being left in device manager at first and once we got it working, we didnt have time to play around with it anymore... so we left it as is and working (at least for us)...

Hope that helps,
Richard

July 12th, 2010 13:00

Well, in the end we have everything working fine now, but it is still extreamily wierd.

Whenever I pull down our base universal image without sysprep initiated and manually install all the drivers from the drivers folder, everything works fine until I install the Video driver (I've even tried rebooting after every driver). As soon as I install the NVidea Video driver and reboot, I get a black screen, with what sounds like the sytem still running the background.

If I pull down the same image that we use for production (saved after running Sysprep) and allow mini-setup to install the drivers from the exact same drivers folders, everything completes fine. Our post-imaging script files all run and everything looks great even after multiple reboots. It shows the same driver file versions after doing this as it does after manually installing them, but we do not have the blank screen issue.

I cant' say I can explain the phenomenon, but luckily I don't have to since in the grand scheme of things everything works out since we used the sysprepped image for workstation deployment. The non-sysprepped image is simply there for us to test new hardware platforms and figure out what new drivers we need to download and inject into the sysprepped image.

July 12th, 2010 15:00

Glad you got it working...

Very strange indeed... ours it just the opposite. If I allow the sysprepped image to try to install the drivers via mini-setup, it blows up. But if I manually do them all, it works fine.

I'll be Soooooo glad when we make the transition to Windows 7... :)

Thanks,
Richard
No Events found!