Highlighted

No POST video with E6420 docked

With Optimus enabled, there is no video during the POST sequence on a E6420 docked to an EPort+ docking station. This means that users can't enter their hard drive password. The only workarounds I've found is to either disable Optimus in the BIOS or connect a monitor to the VGA port on the EPort+. Is this a known issue that's being worked on?
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

RE: No POST video with E6420 docked

Thanks for the post Eddie! I haven't heard about this, but will forward it to our support teams for verification.

Thanks,

Warren
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

The support teams have seen this issue. I haven't heard if there is a workaround for it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

"With Optimus enabled, there is no video during the POST sequence on a E6420 docked to an EPort+ docking station. This means that users can't enter their hard drive password. The only workarounds I've found is to either disable Optimus in the BIOS or connect a monitor to the VGA port on the EPort+. Is this a known issue that's being worked on?"
We've also noticed this issue; when the laptop is turned on while in the dock the external monitors (using DVI) will not turn on until the laptop boots to the Windows 7 login screen.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

I've heard that the docking issue is addressed with the latest Nvidia driver. We have an A02 268.xx version posted on 6/12 and Nvidia has a 275.xx version on their site. Not sure which addresses this issue, but give them a try.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

The A02 268.xx didn't fix the issue, downloading the 275.xx version new. I'll let you know if it works.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Neither driver update helped, both external screens stay blank until the windows login.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Blackhart6,

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll alert the dev team that the issue is not corrected with a new driver.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hopefully a driver update can fix it, but I'd be surprised since the problem occurs during POST, when no driver is loaded.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I agree I believe it's probably something with the BIOS.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Warren,

Has there been any development for this issue ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

"Has there been any development for this issue ?"
This is a known issue with the Dell Support Teams and they have notified the appropriate development teams so that it can be corrected. I'm asking for more information to see what is being done.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Ok. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

at this point it looks like a design issue and not a driver issue. You should open a formal ticket with tech support so that they can properly gauge the customers that are impacted by this issue.

Here's the contact information.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/contact_technical_support?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&~ck=anavml
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Has any progress been made for this problem yet?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue on an E6520. No POST video when docked.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have the exactly same issue on my E6420. Not post video when docked. Have to enter the bitlocker information somehow.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

The best way to get this issue addressed is to log a formal support ticket so that the dev teams can properly gauge the impact of this issue.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/contact_technical_support?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&~ck=anavml
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

"The best way to get this issue addressed is to log a formal support ticket so that the dev teams can properly gauge the impact of this issue.
"
Thanks Warren. I've already logged a ticket on this issue.

Just wanted to post so that users know this is a widespread problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Has this been resolved? If not, is there a ticket number that can be referenced, so it will be easier for the tech support?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

I haven't heard of a resolution for this issue.  Tech support should be able to see if the issue has been reported without you having to provide a ticket number to cross reference.  

Thanks,

Warren

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Apparently . . nothing will get done on this issue, until class action lawsuit gets filed.

Its a know issue and they do not want to address it . . as per Warren reply.

Very poor support DELL.

I am going to guess the fix is . . .buy the E6430, cuz that model does not have this problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

How is this a best way of resolving this?  Does not seem like you (DELL) want to tackle this KNOWN issue.

Here is another link for documentation of the issue:

community.sophos.com/.../22851

Give us some help/resolution to this known problem Warren.  PLEASE!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

The A15 BIOS for the E6420/E6520 that was released late last month, appears to have a fix in it for this issue (other models affected may have an updated BIOS also). 

However there are a couple ways that this issue can be seen and I believe the issue with Optimus and DVI external monitor has architectural limitations that prevent it from being fixed.

Again, please submit formal support tickets so that the support team can capture the customer impact of this issue.

Thanks,

Warren

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

This issue was not resolved with the A15 bios update which was released last month. I tested it on 3 laptops and none of them worked. Also they released a new laptop model which is E6430 and it has the same exact problem. It doesn't show the post until it gets to the login screen. If you disable Optimus only one monitor works for me and the second one doesn't. This is a huge problem for us. Dell needs to be sued for this. I don't know why in the world they can't fix such a simple issue and not to mention why the hell would the release a new model with the same exact problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

You should be able to get the POST to display on VGA connected monitors and the display panel of the laptop.  Does that scenario work for you?

As I stated before, there is an architectural limitation with Optimus and DVI connectors that prevent the POST from being seen in this scenario.

I encourage you to open a formal support ticket so that your issue can be documented and tracked.  

support.dell.com/.../contact_technical_support

0 Kudos