Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2011 01:00

No release.dat files in the latest Latitude Exx20 or Optiplex 790 CABs

There appears to be no "release.dat" files in the latest Latitude Exx20 or Optiplex 790 CABs for Windows 7.
That causes issues when importing as a driver package into SCCM 2007.
I've worked around it by extracting the CABs and runing a script to create a text file in each driver directory, but would be nice if the next version added the release.dat files back in to ease SCCM deployment.

1 Message

May 10th, 2011 04:00

Hi I have noticed this too.

The CAB for the E6520 contains the release.dat files.
The CAB for the E6320 Does NOT contain the release.dat files.

Additionally looking at some older CABS i have imported previously I have noticed that the CAB for the E6410 was missing the release.dat files too but I just downloaded the latest version which now contains them. So Im off to delete and re-import the E6410 driver package now!

Any idea when an updated CAB will be released for the E6320 containing release.dat files or will I need to create a script as suggested by the OP.

Thanks.

1.1K Posts

May 19th, 2011 15:00

There is a Microsoft patch (I don't have the link handy) that addresses the importing issue that required the release.dat files to be included. Unless you are using Categories heavily in your targeting, you should look at patching your ConfigMgr environment so that driver cabs without release.dat files will import correctly. Dell's use of release.dat files is a workaround that has been addressed with the MS patch and we will discontinue it's use at some time in the future.

1 Message

May 25th, 2011 05:00

Yes I've used this patch. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2213600. Your ConfigMgr must be up to SP2 level.

May 25th, 2011 12:00

I have the patch installed at this current client and it does not provide all the functionality of a release.dat file. The patch allows you to import a driver multiple times into different folders, but it still only keeps one copy of the driver, so you end up with the one driver file referenced in multiple driver folders and packages. When you delete the driver to replace it, it will be deleted from all the driver folders that have the same driver. If you use the release.dat file (or any file), then it will import the driver as a new dirver and it will only be referenced in the driver folder/package you imported it into - makes ongoing maintenance much easier.

1.1K Posts

May 27th, 2011 08:00

There has been a "patch for the patch" released which may address the issue you describe. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2513499
No Events found!