TF NOAA
1 Copper

Re: Optiplex 990 Disk? Issue

Hello, I have tried the following versions, but nothing had helped.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology  -

Dell version - 10.1.0.1008, A07

Intel version - 11.0.0.1032

Bios - A07 (I believe this was the version when we received the systems), A10 and A11

HDD Part Number -

Dell - XDNFF or PPWYH, Manufacture - Seagate ST250LT007-9Z14C (Momentus Thin 250GB)

All other drivers (Video, NIC, etc.) have been updated to the latest as well, but nothing has helped.  I have turned off all power options, moved the PCs into an OU with no GPOs applied, but nothing has helped.  I have tried everything that I can think of, but after 3 or so days the systems just slow down and must be powered off.  The Seagate drives were aligned, verified using Paragon Alignment Tool, RST shows the RAID to be in good shape.  Nothing is captured in Event Viewer, Task Manager, Performance Monitor or Process Explorer.  They just simply start to slow down.

0 Kudos
EPOC2
1 Copper

RST version 10.1.0.1008

BIOS versions A07, A10, and A11

Dell HDD P/N: VV4P8

Drive Make / Model: Seagate ST250L0007-9ZV14C

I should have also mentioned that in addition to powering off the system, I've been able to resore the drive performance back to normal by putting the PC into Sleep mode and then waking it up and also by making a BIOS setting change.  (In my case, I enabled SMART reporting, but I suspect any change would have had the same effect.)

When the issue is occuring for us, all of the performance metrics within Windows 7 look good except for the Drive Response Time.  Typically, we see Disk Response times of 10 to 15 ms when starting an app such as IE or Word.  However, when the drive is in this state, we're seeing response times that are anywhere between 1,500 to 20,000 ms.

0 Kudos
TF NOAA
1 Copper

Dell support sent me two new Toshiba drives for replacement.  I installed them in RAID 1, as before about a week ago and applied my image.  The system has run fine since.  I just received 10 Toshiba drives for my 5 remaining systems.

One note: during my time of trouble shooting, I called Seagate tech support, the tech mentioned that this particular drive was not supported in any RAID configuration.  I explained the systems were purchased from Dell with the RAID configuration.  He said he could not support me as the drives now have OEM firmware on them.  Kind of frustrating, but hopefully these posts help all that are reading.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the follow-up information.  I'll send it to the HDD team.

0 Kudos
FauxSnax
1 Nickel

Final note to all - I achieved a resolution, of sorts. I was told that Seagate was involved and I was given the option to attempt firmware upgrades on our current drives. Instead, my boss negotiated replacement of all desktops to similar models with non SED/AF drives.

I won't be posting here further, as my role in this is finished. Good luck to all those that are in the same boat, hopefully Seagate's FW update will work.

0 Kudos
Zelig06
1 Copper

We had a similar problem with the Seagate ST250LT007-9ZV14C drives in our Optiplex.  The problem was resolved by installing the firmware update located here.  We have been running smoothly ever since.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
FauxSnax
1 Nickel

Yes, it was my and a couple others' cases that led to that firmware update. I have not tested it, as we received new machines from Dell instead.

If someone else can give confirmation, I will mark as answered.

0 Kudos
tcpme
1 Copper

RE: Optiplex 990 Disk? Issue

I can confirm that the firmware update of the hard drive worked for me.

0 Kudos
tcpme
1 Copper

Duplicate post.  Please remove.

0 Kudos
tcpme
1 Copper

I can confirm that the firmware update solved our issue.  Although we had to search for the applicable firmware to our specific hard drive.

0 Kudos