Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2016 07:00

Precsion 5510 Realtek USB GbE Family Controller

The Realtek USB GbE Family controller driver is not getting installed when imaging with MDT. Once it gets to windows i get a networking error saying it cannot reach the share. All i have to do is unplug the network adapter and plug back in and it will connect. Then i click retry and it continues on.

I have imported the CAB file from Dell's website so not sure what the issue is. Anyone else seeing this?

6 Posts

April 8th, 2016 07:00

Oh yeah, this is for Windows 10.

2 Posts

April 11th, 2016 22:00

I am seeing this exact problem on our 5510's - incredibly frustrating as I can use the same dongle on an xps13 and it works fine..  what is up?

6 Posts

April 18th, 2016 13:00

I just updated the BIOS to 1.2.0 and it worked the first time i tried. I'm going to try a few more times before I say it's fixed though.

6 Posts

April 18th, 2016 14:00

Never mind. It is still not working.

1 Message

June 16th, 2016 20:00

I have the similar issue with USB 3 ports in my Precision 5510: 

USB 3.0 port stops working in about 3-5 minutes when the USB 3.0 hub with external hard drive is connected to it.

It usually restarts in few seconds, then disappears again, then appears after a while, etc.

I have tried 2 hubs which work without problems in Dell T5810, T3600, T1700, M4700 workstations.

Both hubs get warm when plugged in, both maybe become slightly warmer when 2 Gb Seagate HDD is plugged into them.

When HDD is plugged into hub, both hubs work about same time in the right USB port before it shuts down.

both work in the left USB port more stable, rarely disconnect.

When the HDD itself alone plugged into any port, it works fine, it is combined power draw which shuts port down

the links to manufactures:

The RIGHT USB 3 port is much less stable  then the left port.

Hub #1:

Diamond USB303HE, chip "Realtek family"

http://www.diamondmm.com/usb303he-diamond-usb3-hub-gigabit-ethernet-adapter.html

Hub #2:

Manhattan hub USB 3 + Ethernet, USB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter", chip ASIX AX88179

http://www.manhattan-products.com/ultralynk-usb-30-gigabit-adapter

I tried same hubs on different T5510 laptop  - same issue.

Dell had replaced me mother board, and the new MB shows exactly same problem.

Most likely, THERE IS THE DESIGN FLAW: the USB chip on the main board has inadequate thermal management.

As result, the chip cannot handle for prolonging time current load, specified as standard for "Super Speed" USB 3: maximum 900 mA.

Chip overheats and its thermal protection shuts it down, killing USB 3 port, then it cools and re-enables itself, port appears again, etc., .

The cooling of the chip must be increased by some king of heat sink, like an aluminum thick foil glued on it. 

I will try it likely.

No Events found!