Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2008 08:00

Send Us Feedback!

We want to make the Dell Hardware/Software Updates process as easy as possible - Let us know if you need additional documentation or details to make this process easier!

Greg Ramsey

7 Posts

September 8th, 2009 12:00

I just installed the Server and the Business Client update catalogs, to use with System Center Essentials. The server version seems to cover all of the systems we have, but the business client version seems to cover only fairly recent models only. I have 50 Dell workstations and laptops deployed, from OptiPlex GX240's to 755's and D810s to D830 Latitudes. Are there any plans by Dell to supply an update catalog for these types of older systems? If not (ie. because there are no more updates slated for these systems), what would you suggest as the best method to ensure that these older-type machines are have the most current drivers and firmware installed?

Thanks,
Bob Laszko
Spanky's Portable Services

118 Posts

September 15th, 2009 21:00

Hi Rlaszko - as far as I know, there are no plans to add 'older' systems to the update catalog at this time. For these older systems, it will be tough to ensure they have the most current drivers and firmware installed. I'm not super-familiar with SCE, but with ConfigMgr, we can collect additional inventory to help with targeting specific updates to specific systems. Not the best answer, but that's about all we have to go on for the older systems right now :(

greg

7 Posts

September 15th, 2009 22:00

I appreciate the info, Greg. I thought that would be the answer ...... SCE allows a similar software deployment and targeting feature as well. Good thing I only have a few different models of OptiPlexes in our system :>

Thanks,
Bob Laszko
Spanky's Portable Services.

1 Message

December 24th, 2009 11:00

Hi Greg - In the Dell Update catalogs there will be several entries for the "Inventory Agent" (servers or client versions). This will include the most current release and several previous releases. But all versions are not expired and are not superseded. So it would seem that as I continue to deploy the latest versions, I could end up with several deployments from all the previous versions which are still active.

It would seem that I should manaully set the expired flag or is that wrong?

PS It would be nice if the version number was included in the title.

DP

118 Posts

December 30th, 2009 08:00

DP787 - thanks for the feedback - I'll look into this when I'm back in the office next week, and post a reply then.
Thanks, Greg

12 Posts

July 2nd, 2010 00:00

Just wanna thank you that Dell is providing us with this update infrastructure.
It's a great way for us customers to save time & money using this technology.

Cheers

2 Posts

October 15th, 2013 11:00

I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but this is where customer service sent me.

I have a dell axim pda from 1995.  I got it in 1997.  I use it to read books on and have averaged probably 3-4 hours a day for the entire 16 years I've been using it.  Needless to say, it's see *A LOT* of use.  I estimate (and this is a low estimate) that I've read 10000-15000 books on it.  Since the screen size is rather small, even a short book is 2000 pages.  That's 25 million+ button presses to page down through them (again, this is a LOW estimate.)

It's performed like a champ!  I've actually worn not just the coating off the buttons but also the plastic itself is worn to the point that the impressions in them for tactile feedback are also almost worn away.

I dropped it the other day and finally cracked the screen.  While it's still usable, I'm considering upgrading to a small tablet of some kind to read on.

I was wondering if your hardware development team had any interest in obtaining it for analysis.  I doubt that you've seen many samples that have had the intense longterm usage this one has.

I have the original power adapter/usb connector (still in use)  and the original battery (though it's been many years since it would hold a charge.)

Thanks for your time.

272 Posts

October 15th, 2013 12:00

Omiam,

That's an incredible story!  Hard to believe that you've been using the same device every day for 16 years... that is very cool.

Great to know that the Axim was built to last.  I'm not sure if any of the original Axim engineers are still around, but I'll ask around to see if I can find someone.

2 Posts

October 15th, 2013 12:00

I'm extremely impressed by the quality of this device and have been for years.  Only when I cracked the screen did I really come to realize how long I'd been using it and how much it had been through.  I know many devices have switches that are rated for 2m or 5m button presses before failure, and while I have no clue what the rating was on the Axim, I'm quite sure I've exceeded it multiple times.

It seems that any number of things were done as well as could be asked for with both the design and the hardware, I'm hoping there are people there at Dell that have some interest in analyzing what was done right with this particular device.  I know that I would!

1 Message

January 21st, 2022 07:00

Capture.PNGI think that "master volume" shouldn't be a term, and that you should use something else because of the ties to slavery.

No Events found!