Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2010 09:00

Silent install

This script works like a charm, but every time I put in the silent switches the script does not run. Am i missing something? It does not error out it just does not run the updates. If I take out the switches I recieve the normal GUI interface for the update. Thanks!

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2010 04:00

Hello,
Found you a solution of this problem? I have the same problem at present... Thank you.

1.1K Posts

October 29th, 2010 14:00

Thanks for your post! I'll check with the script author.

1 Message

December 11th, 2010 02:00

Just checking in to see if you've found any info about the silent installs. We're having the same problem using the NOPAUSE switch

1 Message

December 17th, 2010 08:00

Modify the line:
WshShell.Run Chr(34) & ExeStr & " -NOPAUSE -NOREBOOT" & Chr(34), 1, False

To: (this will install unattended but won't reboot the machine.)
WshShell.Run ExeStr & " -NOPAUSE -NOREBOOT", 1, False

Or To: (this will install unattended and reboot the machine.)
WshShell.Run ExeStr & " -NOPAUSE", 1, False

4 Posts

December 18th, 2010 03:00

okay, thank you.
I'll try this solution as soon as possible and I'll let you know the result.

4 Posts

January 10th, 2011 08:00

Okay, it works perfectly like that ...
Thank you very much.

3 Posts

May 10th, 2011 14:00

Is there anyway to get around the path to the EXE? for example i want to not have to download all the exes to the local machine. This would cut time down a little. Thanks

Instead of this Case "Latitude D420" : ExeToRun = "D420_A06.EXE" : NewBIOSVersion="A06"

Can we do something like Case "Latitude D420" : ExeToRun = "\\Server\Share\D420_A06.EXE" : NewBIOSVersion="A06"

I have tried just modifying it like i did above but it doesnt work. Im sorry but im not a vbs guy.

1.1K Posts

May 19th, 2011 15:00

There is a PathtoScript variable created based on the script's location. It would appear that if you put the script and BIOS EXE's on a network share, it should run fine from there. I think you are trying to run a local script to a remote location and the PathToScript variable is breaking that.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2011 16:00

Hi guys,
I was wondering if I could get a little help. I can across this article a couple of years ago but had the same issues listed about not being able to run the BIOS installs silent. I just checked back on it and I see tiggerah had posted a change to the script line that should get everything to work properly. The problem is this still doesn't work for me and I'm pulling my hair out as to figure out why. The script works fine when running normally and I get prompted for the proper BIOS install, but as soon as I replace the line with the switches it simply ceases to do anything. Here is part of the script I was testing with; I'm simply running it from a folder on the desktop with the BIOS revision .exe in the same folder. I also have the laptop at A04 BIOS revision:

Case "Latitude D810" : ExeToRun = "D810_A05.EXE" : NewBIOSVersion="A05"
Case Else : ExeToRun = "NA"

End Select
If ExeToRun = "NA" Then

MsgBox "We do not currently provide a BIOS upgrade for a " & Model & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & "If this is an older model system, please excess the equipment.",0,DlgTitle
Wscript.Quit(1)

ElseIf BIOSRev = NewBIOSVersion Then

MsgBox "The current BIOS[" & BIOSRev & "] for this " & Model & " is up-to-date and does not require an upgrade.",0,DlgTitle
Wscript.Quit(1)

End If
ExeStr = PathToScript & "\" & ExeToRun
WshShell.Run ExeStr & " -NOPAUSE", 1, False
Wscript.Quit(0)

Am I just overlooking something simple, such as how I'm running the script or my test setup? The above script should install unattended AND reboot automatically correct? I appreciate any information that can help.

Thanks
No Events found!