Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2013 17:00

Slow deployments to E7240 from OSD

Hello:

I'm working on a project where I'm deploying a custom Windows 7 image to a variety of Dell laptops via SCCM 2012 OSD. We recently added the Latitude E7240 to the list of our supported models and I'm seeing an issue where the deployment task sequence is taking almost twice as long on this model than it does on other Dell models (E4310, 6320, and several in between), particularly on the "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" task. All other things being equal, I usually see the task sequence complete within 48-55 minutes on the older models and a minimum of 1 hour 10 minutes to a maximum of 1 hour 45 minutes on the 7240. The only variable in the task sequence is driver packs.

Has anyone seen similar issues with deploying images to this model?

October 24th, 2013 13:00

Sure thing.  I actually just wrote up a quick blog post about how I did it.  Check it out here: http://deploymentramblings.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/osd-injecting-the-windows-7-kernel-mode-driver-framework-kmdf/

6 Posts

October 29th, 2013 11:00

So I implemented pretty much exactly what you outlined in your blog post (I didn't extract the CAB from the MSU, just ran the DISM command to add the MSU itself). This greatly improved my deployment times, but it still wasn't up to par with the other models I was deploying to before we introduced the 7240. I compared the task sequence I was using to a secondary task sequence we use for deploying vanilla Windows 7 and found the vanilla Windows 7 task sequence was not using an answer file in the Apply OS step, where as our standard task sequence was. I removed the answer file from the task and deployment times on the 7240 went down to 35 minutes from an hour and 10 minutes.

Ultimately, it's a combination of applying the KMDF in the task sequence and removing the answer file that solved this for me. Thanks for your help.

October 23rd, 2013 07:00

I had this same issue on the E7240 and the E6540 actually.  The "fix" for me was to inject the Kernel Mode Driver Framework (KMDF) 1.11 as outlined in Warren's article here: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2013/10/07/kernel-mode-driver-framework-1-11-update-what-it-is-and-why-you-need-it.aspx

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 09:00

I have seen similar delays on the E6540 model. I had to remove the Free Fall Sensor drivers from my Driver Package to eliminate the "Windows could not configure one or more system components." error while installing Windows.

I haven't been able to complete the image process on the E7240 since I receive that same "Windows could not configure one or more system components." error and I haven't been able to pinpoint the culprit driver yet.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 10:00

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 10:00

Thank you - I am in the process of implementing the change and will let you know if I see the same behavior.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 17:00

Hi Dustin - 

I'm curious as to how you injected the KMDF into your image. I had the same issue Romo describes in his second paragraph below ("Windows could not configure one or more system components") and that was cleared up by using the KMDF. I used DISM to mount my image, apply the KMDF package, then saved the changes to my image and redistributed it for use in the task sequence. That cleared up the initial issue, but then we were left with the slow task sequence.

Did applying the KMDF solve slow deployment times for you? And if so, how did you inject it? Using the method I described? Or did you apply it in the task sequence itself? 

Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.

26 Posts

November 12th, 2013 05:00

can anyone help me ?

I am trying to deploy Windows 7 x64 to my E7240 using SCCM 2012.

The error message I get are:

• !sBootDevicePath.empty(), HRESULT=80004005
  • System partition not set
  • Unable to find the partition that contains the OS boot loaders
  • Process completed with exit code 15299

November 12th, 2013 05:00

Hi Johanpol,

The E7240/E7440 come with UEFI mode enabled by default in BIOS.  If you plan on deploying Windows 7 x64 to it, I suggest changing this back to Legacy mode.  This will likely clear up your issue.

26 Posts

November 12th, 2013 14:00

Hi Dustin,

Thanks I will test this and let you know.

Do you also know how to solve the issue when using UEFI ? By using creating a GPT disk in task sequence ?

26 Posts

November 13th, 2013 07:00

Deploying in the LEGACY mode works fine....so that one is solved.

But then o really want to know how to deploy uding UEFI..that should be possible as well...not ?

November 13th, 2013 08:00

For UEFI Support you have to build your Boot Media using the console directly to USB.  You can't (currently) copy a Boot ISO to USB and have it work (some UEFI boot files are missing).

The default Task Sequence (or the MDT Task Sequences) should already have built-in Format and Partition Disk steps to handle UEFI scenarios.  There is a BUG in MDT Task Sequences where the variable OSDisk isn't specified in the UEFI step.  See this blog http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/76/Uber-tips-for-the-MDT-2012-Update-1-Task-Sequence-template-for-SCCM-2012-SP1.aspx

3 Posts

April 7th, 2014 03:00

Hi I had same problem. (13 h) My issue is: using  the power supplies that came with the Latitude. I used 90W PS when I change it on 130W PS then I instaled OS by 15min. :emotion-1::emotion-21::emotion-22::emotion-49::emotion-59:

No Events found!