Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2010 14:00

cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate does not work on any of my models

I have updated the BIOSs to the current release on a E6400, 960, 755, and D830 and I was able to turn on the TPM using the --tpm=on option then rebooted and tried to activate the TPM using the --tpmactivation=activate option however that command seems to fail. After a reboot they all return tpm=on and tpmactivation=deactivated when I run "cctk --tpm --tpmactivation".

The commands I have had work fine are (In WinPE) --tpm=on --embnic1=on --passwordbypass=rebootbypass then after a reboot I run (In Windows XP SP3) bootorder --sequence=bev,embnic --enabledevice=bev,embnic which also works. This is were I was trying to activate the TPM but it is failing.

118 Posts

February 14th, 2010 21:00

to activate tpm you must (unfortunately) have a bios password. so even if you don't *normally* use passwords, you need to set one, then enable tpm, then remove pw (if desired).

18 Posts

February 15th, 2010 08:00

So should the following work?
cctk --setuppwd=Password
cctk --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=Password
cctk --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=Password

It has not worked yet for me on an E6400, D830, or an Optiplex 960, do I need a reboot between any of these commands? I had to manually turn off our HDD password on the E6400 to enable the setuppwd which is going to limit the usefullness of this to desktop machines only since we don't use a HDD password there, or is there a way to turn off the HDD password with cctk? Unfortunately the returncode has always been 0 even when it fails to set the setuppwd due to the HDD password or if it fails to activate the tpm. I see there are over 200 possible returncodes however they don't seem to address either of the conditions I am experiencing so it is tough to provide specific troubleshooting tips to the person building the machine since I can't tell which command failed. I have also tried enableing the TPM in the step before activation like the pdf shows (after I found that section in the pdf I followed it exactly and it still would not activate). I have tried to activate from both XP and Windows 7 without success. All the machines I am testing on have at one time had the TPM activated but I cleared them before trying this which from my understanding is supposed to put it back to the dafualt factory settings.

118 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 06:00

sorry - I missed this one - I'll ask the team.

18 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 07:00

It turns out the only machine I have been able to activate the TPM on is a new machine so I have never taken ownership of the TPM before on it. The machines where I cleared the TPM I have been unable to get CCTK to activate the TPM. I have called in a Dell case on this and Casey Downing is trying to replicate the issue in the lab. Thanks.

March 4th, 2010 08:00

Just adding that I am seeing this same issue in my environment. Any fix would be greatly appreciated, as the CCTK tool is great!

March 4th, 2010 08:00

"Just adding that I am seeing this same issue in my environment. Any fix would be greatly appreciated, as the CCTK tool is great!"
Check that. When running the following commands (sets a bios PW, and then clears it with the last step):

cctk.exe --setuppwd=BIOSPWD
cctk.exe --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=BIOSPWD
cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=BIOSPWD
cctk.exe --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=BIOSPWD

cctk throws an error on the tpmactivation step, stating that "the option 'tpmactivation' is not available or cannot be configured through software."

However, after a reboot, the TPM chip IS on and activated.

Testing on a D630 with Windows 7 x86.

9 Posts

September 28th, 2010 13:00

"It turns out the only machine I have been able to activate the TPM on is a new machine so I have never taken ownership of the TPM before on it. The machines where I cleared the TPM I have been unable to get CCTK to activate the TPM. I have called in a Dell case on this and Casey Downing is trying to replicate the issue in the lab. Thanks."
I experience the exact same issue across all models. Please tell me there is a fix for this.

18 Posts

September 28th, 2010 14:00

"I experience the exact same issue across all models. Please tell me there is a fix for this."
Once I found Version 1.1.0 Release Date: April 2010 it all started working, so the Dell person testing must have had a beta of that version at the time.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&deviceid=19098&libid=36&releaseid=R266721&vercnt=1&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PREC_M4500&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true

118 Posts

September 28th, 2010 15:00

ah yes, there was a release in April - Please let me know if any of you have troubles with the April released version.

Greg

9 Posts

September 28th, 2010 16:00

"ah yes, there was a release in April - Please let me know if any of you have troubles with the April released version.

Greg"
The new version mentioned is the version I tested and it worked on all models (optiplex 745, 755, 760, 780 latitude 6400, 6410, 6500) except the new Latitude 6510

20 Posts

October 7th, 2010 15:00

Having problems with the 1.1.0 version of CCTK and activating TPM on a Dell 980 with BIOS A04. Any ideas?

1.1K Posts

October 8th, 2010 09:00

Have you checked out the whitepaper and sample script on TPM management?

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/7I5sB3KPCWzE-lLWNNX9bA581116

20 Posts

October 8th, 2010 14:00

"Have you checked out the whitepaper and sample script on TPM management?

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/7I5sB3KPCWzE-lLWNNX9bA581116
"
Yes, that is what I'm using. the script works fine on the e4310 and e6410 but not the dell 980 optiplex. It will enable TPM, but not activate. even if I reboot and try it again.

10 Posts

October 19th, 2010 11:00

"Yes, that is what I'm using. the script works fine on the e4310 and e6410 but not the dell 980 optiplex. It will enable TPM, but not activate. even if I reboot and try it again."
I have tried every means possible without success to activate the TPM setting in the BIOS on an Optiplex 755. I have tried using the CCTK, DCCU and the various wmi vbscripts that are available. I am able to set passwords, enable the TPM but the only way I can activate the TPM is by manually setting it in the BIOS. Version info: BIOS_Ver=A17 CCTK_Ver=1.1.0.0 DCCU_Ver=3.1.1128.0. Are there any other suggestions with automating the activation process?

20 Posts

October 19th, 2010 12:00

"I have tried every means possible without success to activate the TPM setting in the BIOS on an Optiplex 755. I have tried using the CCTK, DCCU and the various wmi vbscripts that are available. I am able to set passwords, enable the TPM but the only way I can activate the TPM is by manually setting it in the BIOS. Version info: BIOS_Ver=A17 CCTK_Ver=1.1.0.0 DCCU_Ver=3.1.1128.0. Are there any other suggestions with automating the activation process?"
Make sure you update the BIOS to the latest version.
No Events found!