Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2010 14:00

cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate does not work on any of my models

I have updated the BIOSs to the current release on a E6400, 960, 755, and D830 and I was able to turn on the TPM using the --tpm=on option then rebooted and tried to activate the TPM using the --tpmactivation=activate option however that command seems to fail. After a reboot they all return tpm=on and tpmactivation=deactivated when I run "cctk --tpm --tpmactivation".

The commands I have had work fine are (In WinPE) --tpm=on --embnic1=on --passwordbypass=rebootbypass then after a reboot I run (In Windows XP SP3) bootorder --sequence=bev,embnic --enabledevice=bev,embnic which also works. This is were I was trying to activate the TPM but it is failing.

10 Posts

October 21st, 2010 13:00

This is crazy!!! I copied your batch file, ran it exactly the same way and it won't activate the TPM. I'm about to loose my mind over this problem. It should be so simple...I must be missing one small piece to the puzzle...but where?

18 Posts

October 21st, 2010 14:00

I have re-verified most of the test systems I have at my desk today, here are the results so far...

All of my BIOSs are up-to-date as of a month ago.
Precision M4500 - works
Latitude E6400 - Works
Optiplex 755 - Works
Latitude D820 - Activation not available
Latitude D620 - Activation not available
Optiplex 745 - Works
Optiplex 960 - Fails
Latitude D830 - Works
Precision T5400 - Works

I do recomend running the cctk --tpm=on, rebooting then running the above script since this seems to be required for some of the systems like the D830.

18 Posts

October 21st, 2010 14:00

"This is crazy!!! I copied your batch file, ran it exactly the same way and it won't activate the TPM. I'm about to loose my mind over this problem. It should be so simple...I must be missing one small piece to the puzzle...but where?"
This is your Optiplex 755 with A17 BIOS correct? Try loading BIOS defaults and activating it manually then clearing the TPM and see if it can set it then? Not sure what else to suggest on that model. If it still doesn't work I could see if we have another spare 755 in the build room that I can verify on to make sure it works on more than this one device for whatever reason.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2010 09:00

I am having the same situation and have been running the command manually from OS Windows 7 X64 Enterprise and WinPE 3.0.

cctk --setuppwd=pswrd
cctk --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=pswrd
cctk --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=pswrd
cctk --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=pswrd

The only luck that I have had has been on a E4200 Bios A13 the TPM will turn on and activate.

My failing units that the TPM will turn on but will not go "active" are 2 E6400 with Bios versions A20 and A26.
Still need to test are E6410, E4310,M6400, and M6500

I have contacted are Dell Rep and will have a Dell System Engineer to help investigate.

20 Posts

November 1st, 2010 13:00

I have a ticket opened with Dell to figure out the e6410, e4310 and Optiplex 980. Still waiting to see what happens.

33 Posts

November 5th, 2010 07:00

Please note that if you are testing full deployment on a system multiple times, your test may pass the first time and fail after that. The reason for this is that the remote "Activation" of the TPM can only occur if the TPM does not contain "ownership" information (in addition to the other stipulations that are discussed here). Meaning, if you went through a full BitLocker deployment including taking ownership of the TPM, you will need to clear out that ownership information before running the next test. Is it possible that you are running into this scenario on the failing units?

20 Posts

November 5th, 2010 10:00

Good Point. Your correct and I hope people do understand that.

Just an update. Dell has pushed the tickets up to IPS to help resolve as of yesterday.

1 Message

January 18th, 2011 03:00

Did we hear back from Dell on this one as I have the same issue with a Latitude E5510?

20 Posts

January 18th, 2011 06:00

Yes, they had to fix the BIOS on the Dell 980, e6410 and e4310. Hoepfully Warren is watching this thread. I'll email him and let him know.

Thanks,
James

1 Message

May 6th, 2011 13:00

"Yes, they had to fix the BIOS on the Dell 980, e6410 and e4310. Hoepfully Warren is watching this thread. I'll email him and let him know.

Thanks,
James"
Testing this on e4310 A06. Does not work for me. Is there any progress on the problem?

Thanks.

1.1K Posts

May 6th, 2011 14:00

There are several options. Please review the whitepaper and included scripts found here.

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/7I5sB3KPCWzE-lLWNNX9bA581116

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2011 00:00

Hello guys,

i am having the same Problems on my Dell Latitude 6320 and 6520 machines.
if i enter the cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activated in the command line i get the "tpmactivation=activated" message but in the BIOS it is still deactivated.
here is what i tried already
- command during Winpe (CCTK boot CD)
- installed CCTK.msi and entered command in W7x64 OS
- integrated CCTK in SCCM boot image and put the commands during Winpe
- build CCTK Package for SCCM an run commands in Task sequence after OS is applied
- tried Warren´s script with "cscript.exe //nologo SampleTrustedPlatformModuleActivation.vbs localhost" (should localhost work??)
- upgraded BIOS to A06

Setting the BIOS PW and switching on the TPM works.. only the activation seems to work but does not.
Any ideas what else i could try??

best regards

Philipp

October 3rd, 2011 03:00

I believe a reboot is required between enabling TPM and the TPM activation task sequence step.

I have had success with enabling TPM, reboot, activating TPM, deploying Windows 7 then initiating a BitLocker encryption on the following Dell models. I am using CCTK 2.0.1:

D630
E6400
E6410

Regards,
Steve

3 Posts

October 6th, 2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

i already tried it with rebooting between each step and it did not work.

regards

Philipp

October 7th, 2011 08:00

I've found that when using CCTK in WinPE, you need manually install HAPI. The documentation states that this should be installed automatically when running a CCTK command, but I've found better reliability by running a step to specifically do so.

The suggested command line string is:

"HAPI\hapint.exe" -i -k C-C-T-K -p "hapint.exe"

Or you can run the HAPIInstall.bat in the CCTK source files.
No Events found!