Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2010 14:00

cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate does not work on any of my models

I have updated the BIOSs to the current release on a E6400, 960, 755, and D830 and I was able to turn on the TPM using the --tpm=on option then rebooted and tried to activate the TPM using the --tpmactivation=activate option however that command seems to fail. After a reboot they all return tpm=on and tpmactivation=deactivated when I run "cctk --tpm --tpmactivation".

The commands I have had work fine are (In WinPE) --tpm=on --embnic1=on --passwordbypass=rebootbypass then after a reboot I run (In Windows XP SP3) bootorder --sequence=bev,embnic --enabledevice=bev,embnic which also works. This is were I was trying to activate the TPM but it is failing.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2011 02:00

Hello Nate,

thanks for your reply. Sadly i got the same results after using the hapint command.
Except of the tpmactivation all other CCTK commands are working. I think without the hapi none of them would work?
Any other ideas?

best regards

Philipp

1 Message

October 20th, 2011 04:00

Experiencing the exact same problem! All CCTK commands work except tpmactivation. If I pause the task sequence right after I've run the activation command and run cctk -- tpmactivation manually it states that it is activated. However, after the next reboot it's not activated.

57 Posts

October 20th, 2011 21:00

Can you run CCTK from a batch file and echo out the value of %errorlevel% because that should match an error code in the CCTK user manual that will explain more.

I've had success with this order using CCTK:
1. Update to the latest version of the BIOS that is available
2. Enable TPM
3. Reboot
4. Set BIOS password
5. Activate TPM and specify the BIOS password
6. Reboot

Make sure you don't interrupt the boot sequence when enabling and activating the TPM. In other words, enable/active and reboot and go straight into BIOS set up. Let it boot to the OS. Then reboot and check the BIOS screen.

2 Posts

January 27th, 2012 04:00

I have the same problem here. CCTK works fine except tpmactivation! I run CCTK (x86, Version 2.0.1) from a batch file inside WinPE. I run the following command:

cctk.exe -i MODEL.cctk

cctk.exe --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=PW

cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=PW

In the *.cctk file I set some general BIOS settings and also the setup password. The other two command run without an error, but after rebooting the system the TPM is on but not activated. The funny thing is, that the activation works on the Dell Latitude E6410 (A11) but it does not work with these models:

- Latitude E4300 (A24)

- Latitude E6400 (A31)

- Latitude D630 (A17)

Did someone manage to activate the TPM on the models above?

57 Posts

January 28th, 2012 14:00

I have activated the TPM successfully on a D630 using CCTK. Some models require you enable the TPM, then reboot, then activate the TPM, and then reboot. I think the 630 is one of those. I do all mine like that though because the behavior is inconsistent across models.

March 13th, 2012 13:00

Has this issue been fixed?  I am having the exact same problem (I can turn on TPM, Activation says it succeeded but if I look at the BIOS it is de-activated).  I have E6400 and E6420 laptops I'm testing with, the problem is consistent with those two models.

57 Posts

March 13th, 2012 18:00

Are you running the latest BIOS version for each of those? Can you go through the exact steps that you do including any reboots?

I have a E6420 that I can test tomorrow.

March 14th, 2012 13:00

Thanks for offering Clint, I discovered that in my case the TPM was owned & I needed to clear TPM to get CCTK to work properly...

57 Posts

March 14th, 2012 17:00

Yeah I was going to mention that since it has been the issue before multiple times in this forum. I wish CCTK had a to check if a TPM was owned or not.

July 19th, 2012 12:00

SOLUTION: If you are experiencing this problem (change TPM activation state using CCTK command line, CCTK returns success, but activation state is NOT actually changed) it is most likely because CCTK cannot change the TPM activation state when the TPM is in an "owned" state.  You must first clear the TPM ownership, then CCTK --tpmactivation=activate will work properly.

This is not documented anywhere, so far as I know.  It's obviously a bug in CCTK.  CCTK should not return success when it has failed, d'oh.

June 30th, 2016 10:00

Help is not available for the option 'tmpactivation'

July 4th, 2016 05:00

Hi, 

you can see help for tpmactivation as below -

Thanks

-Tarun

No Events found!