Therkilt
1 Nickel

cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate does not work on any of my models

I have updated the BIOSs to the current release on a E6400, 960, 755, and D830 and I was able to turn on the TPM using the --tpm=on option then rebooted and tried to activate the TPM using the --tpmactivation=activate option however that command seems to fail. After a reboot they all return tpm=on and tpmactivation=deactivated when I run "cctk --tpm --tpmactivation".

The commands I have had work fine are (In WinPE) --tpm=on --embnic1=on --passwordbypass=rebootbypass then after a reboot I run (In Windows XP SP3) bootorder --sequence=bev,embnic --enabledevice=bev,embnic which also works. This is were I was trying to activate the TPM but it is failing.
0 Kudos
57 Replies
DELL-Greg R
2 Iron

RE: cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate does not work on any of my models

to activate tpm you must (unfortunately) have a bios password. so even if you don't *normally* use passwords, you need to set one, then enable tpm, then remove pw (if desired).
0 Kudos
Therkilt
1 Nickel

So should the following work?
cctk --setuppwd=Password
cctk --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=Password
cctk --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=Password

It has not worked yet for me on an E6400, D830, or an Optiplex 960, do I need a reboot between any of these commands? I had to manually turn off our HDD password on the E6400 to enable the setuppwd which is going to limit the usefullness of this to desktop machines only since we don't use a HDD password there, or is there a way to turn off the HDD password with cctk? Unfortunately the returncode has always been 0 even when it fails to set the setuppwd due to the HDD password or if it fails to activate the tpm. I see there are over 200 possible returncodes however they don't seem to address either of the conditions I am experiencing so it is tough to provide specific troubleshooting tips to the person building the machine since I can't tell which command failed. I have also tried enableing the TPM in the step before activation like the pdf shows (after I found that section in the pdf I followed it exactly and it still would not activate). I have tried to activate from both XP and Windows 7 without success. All the machines I am testing on have at one time had the TPM activated but I cleared them before trying this which from my understanding is supposed to put it back to the dafualt factory settings.
0 Kudos
DELL-Greg R
2 Iron

sorry - I missed this one - I'll ask the team.
0 Kudos
Therkilt
1 Nickel

It turns out the only machine I have been able to activate the TPM on is a new machine so I have never taken ownership of the TPM before on it. The machines where I cleared the TPM I have been unable to get CCTK to activate the TPM. I have called in a Dell case on this and Casey Downing is trying to replicate the issue in the lab. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Nate.Wagenaar
1 Copper

Just adding that I am seeing this same issue in my environment. Any fix would be greatly appreciated, as the CCTK tool is great!
0 Kudos
Nate.Wagenaar
1 Copper

"Just adding that I am seeing this same issue in my environment. Any fix would be greatly appreciated, as the CCTK tool is great!"
Check that. When running the following commands (sets a bios PW, and then clears it with the last step):

cctk.exe --setuppwd=BIOSPWD
cctk.exe --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=BIOSPWD
cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=BIOSPWD
cctk.exe --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=BIOSPWD

cctk throws an error on the tpmactivation step, stating that "the option 'tpmactivation' is not available or cannot be configured through software."

However, after a reboot, the TPM chip IS on and activated.

Testing on a D630 with Windows 7 x86.
0 Kudos
dellSCCM
1 Nickel

"It turns out the only machine I have been able to activate the TPM on is a new machine so I have never taken ownership of the TPM before on it. The machines where I cleared the TPM I have been unable to get CCTK to activate the TPM. I have called in a Dell case on this and Casey Downing is trying to replicate the issue in the lab. Thanks."
I experience the exact same issue across all models. Please tell me there is a fix for this.
0 Kudos
Therkilt
1 Nickel

"I experience the exact same issue across all models. Please tell me there is a fix for this."
Once I found Version 1.1.0 Release Date: April 2010 it all started working, so the Dell person testing must have had a beta of that version at the time.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&deviceid=19098&libid=36&releaseid=R266721&vercnt=1&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PREC_M4500&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true
0 Kudos
DELL-Greg R
2 Iron

ah yes, there was a release in April - Please let me know if any of you have troubles with the April released version.

Greg
0 Kudos