Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2012 08:00

Ask the Expert: Performance Calculations on Clariion/VNX

Performance calculations on the CLARiiON/VNX  with RRR & Jon Klaus

Welcome to the EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about Performance calculations on the Clariion /VNX systems and the various considerations that must be taken into account

This discussion begins on Monday, August  13th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for email notifications.

Your hosts:

https://community.emc.com/profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=4416&size=350

Rob Koper is working in the IT industry since 1994 and since 2004 working for Open Line Consultancy. He started with Clariion CX300 and DMX-2 and worked with all newer arrays ever since, up to current technologies like VNX 5700 and the larger DMX-4 and VMAX 20k systems. He's mainly involved in managing and migrating data to storage arrays over large Cisco and Brocade SANs that span multiple sites widely spread through the Netherlands. Since 2007 he's an active member on ECN and the Support Forums and he currently holds Proven Professional certifications like Implementation Engineer for VNX, Clariion (expert) and Symmetrix as well as Technology Architect for Clariion and Symmetrix.

https://community.emc.com/profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=6000&size=350

Jon Klaus has been working at Open Line since 2008 as a project consultant on various storage and server virtualization projects. To prepare for these projects, an intensive one year barrage of courses on CLARiiON and Celerra has yielded him the EMCTAe and EMCIEe certifications on CLARiiON and EMCIE + EMCTA status on Celerra.

Currently Jon is contracted by a large multinational and part of a team that is responsible for running and maintaining several (EMC) storage and backup systems throughout Europe. Amongst his day-to-day activities are: performance troubleshooting, storage migrations and designing a new architecture for the Europe storage and backup environment.

This event ran from the 13th until the 31st of August .

Here is a summary document og the higlights of that discussion as set out by the experts. Ask The Expert: Performance Calculations on Clariion/VNX wrap up

The discussion itself follows below.

August 16th, 2012 08:00

Thanks every one for participating and sharing ideas on this post and helping the community! I don't want to break current conversation about the logs but I would like to see some discussion on the perofrmance monitoring tools and use cases with most "important parameters" that needs to be considered for doing analysis in any environment. I understand that performance analysis is a ocean and varies from every scenario.

I know few of them:

Symmetrix - SPA

Clarrion - Navisphere analyzer/Unispere analyzer

VNX - Unispere analyzer

Celerra(NAS) - ?

VBLOCK (converged infrastructure) -?

Also what about if we encounter perofrmace with SRDF, is there any tool to analyze the performance issues other then the EMC's internal tool "symmerge" ?

What about prosphere, any thought on that?

5.7K Posts

August 16th, 2012 11:00

Right... I don't know actually. All I know is that MS SQL has 2 sorts of disks: database and logs, but what kind of logs they are, I actually don't know ;-)

And about Oracle I know even less.

25 Posts

August 17th, 2012 02:00

Do we have to deal with redo logs different as with archive logs?

When storage is assigned for a database server, right now the database administrators put the archive log on a RAID volume... When I am searching for the redo logs, I can find them on a RAID5 volume, with also the database on it.

I never paid attention to it. I was thinking our database admins knew what they are doing... ;-)

25 Posts

August 17th, 2012 02:00

I have running the Analyzer on CLARiion and VNX.

Every day the performance data is saved, but I never take the time to investigate it...

Sometimes, when expecting troubles, I am opening the analyzer to check "real-time"data... To analyse performance with nar-files, I don't think the Analyzer is a very helpful tool. I also tried to retrieve data with the command line, but after a few days, I stopped trying. maybe I need some additional tools to make the analysis much less complicated...

The healthcheck service is an outcome for me.

On critical servers, I am continuously running perfmon to gather basic storage data. But then, of course you don't have an insight in the overall performance of your storage system.

5.7K Posts

August 17th, 2012 03:00

Exactly my thought , but with Oracle this might be different, I don't know, but it changes nothing to the fact that measuring your needs is always the best.

5.7K Posts

August 17th, 2012 04:00

I think Analyzer is great. We have it running 24/7 and whenever we have problems I collect a week's worth of NARs (sometimes more) and I merge them into a single large NAR. Analyzer (set to advanced) will show everything I need, but also the AH (Analyzer Helper) is a great tool which helps me locating hot spots in an hour or so (depending on the machine I have this tool running on).

We also use Solarwinds for realtime monitoring and alerting purposes. On the host (Windows) perfmon is my preferred tool.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 17th, 2012 04:00

bartdonders wrote:

Do we have to deal with redo logs different as with archive logs?

When storage is assigned for a database server, right now the database administrators put the archive log on a RAID volume... When I am searching for the redo logs, I can find them on a RAID5 volume, with also the database on it.

I never paid attention to it. I was thinking our database admins knew what they are doing... ;-)

we separate database, redo and archive ..not only from performance perspective but also recovery perspective. If your LUN that contains data files and redo logs becomes corrupt , you just lost transactions. You can restore from tape and then roll forward using archive logs, but they won't get you as close to the point of corruption as redo logs could if they were not destroyed.

212 Posts

August 17th, 2012 06:00

Hi

I would like to hear if anyone can give some in depth information on performance about ISCSI and its use on the VNX.

We have the posibillity to get either 1G or 10 G ISCSI ports for the SP's on a VNX

My understanding is that everybody says that a 8G FC port can outperform a 10G ISCSI...And that in some cases 4 1G ports can out perform a 10G line...

My question is WHY ?

And from a performance side, what is an acceptable level of data transfer for the two port types....this will offcourse depend on the setup, but I'm looking for some kind of information on what to expect, and what not to expect in an ISCSI environment

212 Posts

August 17th, 2012 06:00

Bart...

I think this white paper might be of help to you in your search for Oracle answers

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h8242-deploying-oracle-vnx-wp.pdf

197 Posts

August 17th, 2012 09:00

With Analyzer do the I/Os shown at the disk level include the parity calculation I/Os? For instance 1 write I/O coming from a host will result in 4 I/Os (RAID 5) on the physical disks. Should I expect to see those 4 I/Os when looking at the disk in Analyzer or will I see just 1 I/O?

We also run analyzer 24/7. Works well for when you hear about performance issues days after they occurred. Ideally we'll use all the data to do some system wide trending as well. Currently working on automating that process with a sql database and custom reports.

August 17th, 2012 10:00

If you see the I/O at front end you will just see the actual number of I/O's but if you look at the back end disk I/O's the "yes" you will definetly see the I/O's with write penalty.

5.7K Posts

August 20th, 2012 02:00

Exactly: it wouldn't be much of an analyzer product if it didn't show this! You can also see the influence of the cache filling up and the watermark flushing and about everything you always wanted to know.

25 Posts

Thanks for the document...

I will share this with our database administrators also.

5.7K Posts

Question: in the licensed version of Analyzer you can enable the collection of NARs for a maximum of 30 days. What do you guys use to monitor continuously? Do you manually disable / enable the log collecting or do you have this scripted?

I created a script for this, but I encountered vague problems. What I see is that disableing is not really an issue, but when I re-enable too quickly, it sometimes fails and I end up with not collecting any logs. I was thinking about building in some sort of "pause" to be sure the array is ready for the new command or a second option was to first disable it on all my arrays and then enable it on all arrays (instead of dis/en it per array and move on to the next array).

How do you do this?

5.7K Posts

Hi Jim, how was the weekend?

About iSCSI: unfortunately I don't have that much experience with it. The only time I encountered iSCSI I used it to copy data from a CX3 to another CX3 and the speed we got was about 30MBps, but then again, this was in the CX3 era, so about 5, 6 years ago or so. Back then colleagues of mine didn't get much more than 30MBps on a 1 Gb link either. So based on that I would say that FC work much more "clean" with less overhead so it can actually (almost) reach the theoretical maximum.

I wonder about the experiences of other people as well. Anyone?

No Events found!