dynamox
6 Thallium

Re: Ask the Expert: Performance Calculations on Clariion/VNX

you are not confusing redo logs and archive logs ?

0 Kudos
ravi_paladugu
1 Nickel

Thanks every one for participating and sharing ideas on this post and helping the community! I don't want to break current conversation about the logs but I would like to see some discussion on the perofrmance monitoring tools and use cases with most "important parameters" that needs to be considered for doing analysis in any environment. I understand that performance analysis is a ocean and varies from every scenario.

I know few of them:

Symmetrix - SPA

Clarrion - Navisphere analyzer/Unispere analyzer

VNX - Unispere analyzer

Celerra(NAS) - ?

VBLOCK (converged infrastructure) -?

Also what about if we encounter perofrmace with SRDF, is there any tool to analyze the performance issues other then the EMC's internal tool "symmerge" ?

What about prosphere, any thought on that?

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Osmium

Right... I don't know actually. All I know is that MS SQL has 2 sorts of disks: database and logs, but what kind of logs they are, I actually don't know ;-)

And about Oracle I know even less.

0 Kudos
bartdonders
1 Nickel

Do we have to deal with redo logs different as with archive logs?

When storage is assigned for a database server, right now the database administrators put the archive log on a RAID volume... When I am searching for the redo logs, I can find them on a RAID5 volume, with also the database on it.

I never paid attention to it. I was thinking our database admins knew what they are doing... ;-)

0 Kudos
bartdonders
1 Nickel

I have running the Analyzer on CLARiion and VNX.

Every day the performance data is saved, but I never take the time to investigate it...

Sometimes, when expecting troubles, I am opening the analyzer to check "real-time"data... To analyse performance with nar-files, I don't think the Analyzer is a very helpful tool. I also tried to retrieve data with the command line, but after a few days, I stopped trying. maybe I need some additional tools to make the analysis much less complicated...

The healthcheck service is an outcome for me.

On critical servers, I am continuously running perfmon to gather basic storage data. But then, of course you don't have an insight in the overall performance of your storage system.

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Osmium

Exactly my thought , but with Oracle this might be different, I don't know, but it changes nothing to the fact that measuring your needs is always the best.

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Osmium

I think Analyzer is great. We have it running 24/7 and whenever we have problems I collect a week's worth of NARs (sometimes more) and I merge them into a single large NAR. Analyzer (set to advanced) will show everything I need, but also the AH (Analyzer Helper) is a great tool which helps me locating hot spots in an hour or so (depending on the machine I have this tool running on).

We also use Solarwinds for realtime monitoring and alerting purposes. On the host (Windows) perfmon is my preferred tool.

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

bartdonders wrote:

Do we have to deal with redo logs different as with archive logs?

When storage is assigned for a database server, right now the database administrators put the archive log on a RAID volume... When I am searching for the redo logs, I can find them on a RAID5 volume, with also the database on it.

I never paid attention to it. I was thinking our database admins knew what they are doing... ;-)

we separate database, redo and archive ..not only from performance perspective but also recovery perspective. If your LUN that contains data files and redo logs becomes corrupt , you just lost transactions. You can restore from tape and then roll forward using archive logs, but they won't get you as close to the point of corruption as redo logs could if they were not destroyed.

Jim_Hegner
2 Iron

Hi

I would like to hear if anyone can give some in depth information on performance about ISCSI and its use on the VNX.

We have the posibillity to get either 1G or 10 G ISCSI ports for the SP's on a VNX

My understanding is that everybody says that a 8G FC port can outperform a 10G ISCSI...And that in some cases 4 1G ports can out perform a 10G line...

My question is WHY ?

And from a performance side, what is an acceptable level of data transfer for the two port types....this will offcourse depend on the setup, but I'm looking for some kind of information on what to expect, and what not to expect in an ISCSI environment

0 Kudos
Jim_Hegner
2 Iron

Bart...

I think this white paper might be of help to you in your search for Oracle answers

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h8242-deploying-oracle-vnx-wp.pdf