RRR
5 Osmium

Re: Ask the Expert: Performance Calculations on Clariion/VNX

Ah! I never noticed that! Cool!! Thanks for telling me

0 Kudos
bartdonders
1 Nickel

I can download the Analyzer Helper from Powerlink?

Or is it for EMC internal use only?

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Osmium

On an existing array (CX4 or VNX) with traditional Raid Groups still set up or perhaps a basic pool configurations without auto tiering (FAST VP) you can still enhance performance quite significantly. Besides FAST VP EMC came up with FAST Cache which is basically an extension to the RAM based cache which is always present in any array. This 2nd level cache - if you may call it that way - is much slower than RAM (nano second range for RAM compared to micro second range for flash), but still much faster than the traditional spinning disks (micro second range for flash compared to mili second range for disk). This FAST Cache uses EFDs (Enterprise Flash Drives, also known as SSDs; mostly SLC by the way) to absorb writes to the spinning disks, but since these devices are most of the time 100GB or more they can hold much more data than the regular RAM cache which can only be a fraction of that (11GB in CX4-960). So by investing a relatively small amount of money a great performance gain can be achieved.

A caveat of FAST VP is that data is redistributed to better match the storage tier it's supposed to sit on. Data which is hardly read or written to will be placed on a slow tier, but what if suddenly this data needs to be accessed frequently? The scheduled reshuffle will only move this hot data to a faster tier during the night! When FAST Cache is placed in the array as well this will absorb a lot of the slow data access and make it appear as being based on faster drives. It doesn't take away the "slowness" completely, but it's a great way to get the most money for your bucks .

0 Kudos
Jim_Hegner
2 Iron

The Analyser helper is also available to EMC partners.

I think you need to be Velocity implement partner to have access.

I know that we can download it from powerlink, under EMC services partner Web page..

0 Kudos
bartdonders
1 Nickel

Unfortunately for me, I am only a simple, but happy end-user.

0 Kudos
vipinvk
4 Tellurium

Hi Jim,

Can you tell me where exactly in the service partner web ?

Vipin V.K

0 Kudos
Jim_Hegner
2 Iron

Vipin...

I just checked, and found out that I was wrong.

Analyser Helper can be downloaded from a webpage.

That webpage can be found on the ECN

ECN > Partner network > Aervices partner Exchange > Velocity services > Documents > toolshed.

To have access to that part of ECN your company need to be VSI / PSP partner under the Velocity program.

And be aware that to get the licensing for this tool you need a VNX TA or VNX IE certification..you might have to be a part of the EMC consolidate champion program...that is not entirely clear in the instructions.

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Osmium

The Analyzer Helper used to be available on the partner web, but it disappeared and maybe it's back again, I don't know. I know that it's also available under the partner section here on ECN.

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Osmium

oops, you beat me to it (that happens when you load a page and don't refrech for an hour).

(I'm a VNX IE by the way and soon TA as well)

0 Kudos