Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2012 05:00

Hard disk compatibility (ST32000444SS)

Hi,

first - I am a completely newbie regarding EMC products so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Second - I recently acquired a couple of 2TB 7200 RPM SAS drives (ST32000444SS) on a well known marketplace...

The seller unfortunately failed to mention that those drives were from an EMC storage array and included an EMC drive Caddy and probably EMC Bios.

So now I think I have several options:

1. Return the drives - possibly the easiest solution, I've contacted the seller regarding this

2. Sell the drives on - possible too - I've paid around $180 per disc - is that a reasonable price or cheap or a ripoff?

3. Try to remove the caddy and force flash a regular Seagate bios on them to get them recognized by a regular SAS controller - Is that even possible?

4. Try to get hold of an EMC storage unit to use them as they are...

a. Which storage Units support these drives - and which one is the oldest and thus possibly cheapest?

b. Which components do I need to get this running? I suppose the regular list would include Storage Processor, Drive Array, SAN switch and FC HBA? I           believe one can leave the SAN switch out - but do I need a storage processor or can I directly attach a drive array to a FC HBA in a server?

Any comments/help or link to documentation regarding this would be greatly appreciated:)

Regards,

Thomas

33 Posts

May 1st, 2012 13:00

Well that was one of my initial questions;)

Which is the oldest array which will accept those drives ?

Which limitations do these have? size? disk type?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 1st, 2012 13:00

do you know EMC part number for that drive ?

33 Posts

May 2nd, 2012 10:00

Anyone knows where to search via this partnumber?

Standard search yields not many results....

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2012 11:00

that part number does not look like what EMC uses in their documentation, see attachment

1 Attachment

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

CX3

1 Attachment

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

CX

1 Attachment

33 Posts

May 2nd, 2012 12:00

Thanks - and weird... The part number is correct  "EMC PN: 118032750"

Edit - actually there are 2 part numbers - one on the disk itself and one on the drive caddy - the correct one is 005049277...

I've heard now from the seller those drives came from a cx-4pdae-fd...

Is that an older or newer modell? And is that one i might use stand alone? - Yet again the search yields no results, sorry

Edit2 - I've found the disk in https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/613517-37338/All_CLARiiON_Disk_and_FLARE_OE_Matrices.pdf, listed for VNX platforms... weird it was used in that cx machine then?

Thanks,

Thomas

33 Posts

May 2nd, 2012 13:00

Ah ok, i see...

well too bad, because a cx-4pdae-fd or KTN-STL4 which seems to be another name is fairly cheap to come by... Adding an storage processor will negate that cheap array factor.

Thanks - and one final question - if i change the block size and use it in a regular pc/server will i ever be able to use those drives in an EMC again (by reformatting with 512b block size o/c)?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2012 13:00

i am not sure, they get formatted at the factory. Here is a note from one of the documents:

A drive sector typically contains 512 bytes of data. Many VNX configurations and tuning options are in block-size units, which is 512 bytes. VNX drive sectors contain a total of 512 bytes of data and 8 additional bytes of metadata, totaling 520 bytes.

I am afraid if you format them for PC/Server use, you will not be able to use them in Clariion/VNX again, the firmware (FLARE) will not recognize them.

33 Posts

May 2nd, 2012 14:00

Ok, as expected.

Thanks a lot for your help:)

5.7K Posts

May 2nd, 2012 23:00

Found it, it can be used in any VNX model. It's a 2TB 7k2 RPM 6Gb SAS drive, including the VNXe models. The VNX is the "new" CX. In fact it is newer than a CX. They don't make CX's anymore.

No Events found!