Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2011 11:00

How to migrate a cluster windows 2003 with EMC OM

Hi all

And that is the question.

I have a cluster win 2003 - two nodes - active / pasive , and we want migrate with EMC OM

I read manual, and follow all instructions, but dont work, i dont see the option "complete migration"

Here my step by step, please, if you see anything wrong, please tell me.

1.- Move resources to the node active

2.-shutdown node pasive

3.- install EMC OM

4.- Restart after installation EMC OM

5.- Rescan disks and volumes in the console of EMC

6.- Atach disks (new disks and old disks)

7.- Restart server

8.- Migrate the old disks to new with the option Migrate with verify

9.- Finish migrate, finish verified, and ????

What is the next step ??

I dont see Complete migration - i can see in Migration state "Insyc Verified" and ceros to the left side, the disk new only say Verified Target

But never see the Complete migration like the manual 3.12 say

I have the version 3.10, but dont have the manual, changes something in there ????

Please help

Best regards

GS

89 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 09:00

Check the guide for 3.9.  I believe the changes between 3.9 and 3.10 were minor enough that they didn't publish a new guide at this time.  However, there are Release Notes for each version which should be reviewd as well.  The 3.12 guide would not be appropriate for OM version 3.10. 

1K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 14:00

The "Complete Migration" is only available in version 3.12.

6 Posts

December 5th, 2011 21:00

Thanks for your replies guys !!, one more question.

Some will have a copy of the manual version 3.9 or 3.10 to do the test in my cluster.

I have only 3.12

Best regards !!

89 Posts

December 6th, 2011 09:00

You may find the 3.9 guide by following these menu choices from the main Powerlink page.

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ J-O ~ Documentation > Open Migrator/LM > General Reference

6 Posts

December 12th, 2011 09:00

Hi, after to much tests, at last i know hot migrate a cluster with EMC OM

Thanks to all for your help and answers !!!

best regards

1K Posts

July 31st, 2012 07:00

You will find step-by-step instructions in the OM product guide.

In PowerLink go to: Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ J-O ~ Documentation > Open Migrator/LM > Installation/Configuration

It really depends on which version of OM you use. I recommend you use 3.12 since it's more cluster friendly compared to the older versions.

29 Posts

Can you  please let me know the steps to follow for cluster migration using OM. do we have reboot he active . with passive node shut down , after we hit the migration complete in the OM. can you please assist.

29 Posts

hi Talijic,

I followed these below steps with version 3.12 (OM)

Below are the steps that were followed while migration using open migrator for this sql cluster.

Step 1 to 5 was successfully implemented, but as soon as we remove the old San from the host we lost the connectivity to the new volume. Do you see anything I missed in order for the migration to fail?

1. Assign the new san to both the node on the cluster (active/passive)

2. reboot he active node which has the OM install after the filter divers are attached.

3, After the reboot start the migration

4, once the migration is done , complete the migration and shut down the passive node , so the active node can be rebooted,

5. Once the active node comes up the drive letters will be swapped to the new volumes.

6. Then rebuilt the Quorum disk.

29 Posts

July 31st, 2012 08:00

No, i didnt configure the quorum drive . As I was making sure everything come up good on the active node . once thats done was  going to configure the quorum drive and as well recreate the resouce group.

1K Posts

Run powermt display dev=all to make sure that the data resides on the new array. If you are testing the failover to another host the quorum drive will be moved as well. You need to move the quorum drive to the new array as well. If the quorum drive is not on the new SAN the cluster will go down once you remove the old array.

Tio migrate the quorum drive go to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280353

1K Posts

Did you configure the quorum drive to be on the new array?

1K Posts

July 31st, 2012 09:00

If the data definitely lives on the new array, including data and quorum LUNs, removing the old SAN should not cause any issues. Make sure that both hosts, active and passive, are logged in and registered on the new array and see the same LUNs.

29 Posts

July 31st, 2012 09:00

Whats the scenario , if we have removed all the data disk and quorum from the old san , with passive node down , do this this will still cause the data be not accesable on the new san we have migrated to on the active node.

29 Posts

July 31st, 2012 10:00

what  happens , if i remove the data and quorum disk from old san just on the active cluster , with passive completely shut down. Do this still cause the data not accessible on the active node ( with quorum not yet configured & passive node is down).

1K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 06:00

No it doesn't. If you are performing those actions while the passive node is down the active node will remain online as long as you verified that all storage has been migrated to the new array.

No Events found!