Highlighted
dynamox
6 Gallium

Reply-by-Email and Signatures

i've been noticing that more and more people are using email to reply to threads which is kind of cool, but what i also noticed that people do not remove their email signature that contains their name, company they work for, address, phone number ..etc.  Unless there will be a way a parse that info out ( i don't see how), users will become targets of phishing, telemarketers ..etc.  From my experience in hardware section, support forums are flourishing even without going public. I see a lot more folks joining and contributing, it's great !

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Conor1
2 Iron

Re: What if we opened up the Support Forums (read-only) to the whole internet?

Hey Dynamox,

I agree the email-reply function is great, However I can't see how the forum software could strip the signature out of the email reply, would be a mammoth task as all sigs are different.

Maybe a warning could be added to email notification of a new post "Please remove all personal information from you email reply as this will be posted on the forum"

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

True, but some mail servers add a signature (disclaimer) after you sent the mail. So you need to make sure your mail server doesn't do this if you want to use the reply by email function.

0 Kudos
ezirnhel
3 Silver

Conor - great idea about the warning in the notifications.  /javascript:;.
0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

RRR,

here is something i found by mistake. If you add 5 dashes (-----) at the bottom of your email reply, everything after that is discarded by the forum. Even the "security" message appended by your email sever. Works great

0 Kudos
Davidy8s
2 Iron

5 dashes terminates email response?  Let's find out; next line of email response will be 5 dashes, next lines .sig.

Edit to add: Score!  5 dashes terminates the message. Message was edited by: Il Moderatore Benevolo

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

Hey ! that's cool !

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

It works !

The 5 dashes disappear, including everything underneath it ! Cool ! How did you find that out ?

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

poke through a couple of thousand lines of Jive code

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

You're crazy !
0 Kudos