Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2011 08:00

Adding arrays to existing PS6010XV

Hi All,

We have an existing PS6010XV (RAID10) that is working well.  We're looking into adding 3 other arrays; an 6010S, another 6010XV and a 6010E.  This will create our storage tiers for data that requires different performance.

My question is regarding auto-tiering and SSD's in particular.  My understanding is that I can't add different drive technologies to my existing storage pool unless they're of a differing RAID type.  So if I want to run my SSD's in RAID10, I need to place them in a separate pool to my XV running RAID10, which will negate any auto-tiering happening?  

Surely the EQL can differentiate the performance advantage of a SSD over a SAS drive, even if running the same RAID level?  Isn't that how an 6010XVS works?

Thanks

31 Posts

May 11th, 2011 08:00

I've spoken to EQL internal people that say that is in the road-map for future firmware updates, but no it does not "differentiate the performance advantage of a SSD over a SAS drive" if you put them in the same pool with the same RAID type. I can tell you from experience, when you read the document you would think that putting a SATA RAID50 and a SAS RAID10 in a pool together would be of great benefit, you should be able to set a volume free in that pool with the RAID preference set to "automatic" and expect it to run the 14 day algorithm and move it to one type or the other. That doesn't happen, in firmware 5.x.x, ever. I have had volumes sitting across both members for 8 months set with automatic. If you speak with support about this you will get varying "opinions", but I was told by one "this is a marketing feature", I was told by another "this won't work if there are less than 5 members in the pool". I'm about to test firmware 5.0.5 (we're on 5.0.2 right now) so we'll see if it works again, as it did seem to work "so-so" in 4.3.7. Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

No Events found!