Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2015 13:00

Adding members to an existing group

I would like to know if I add a member to an existing array if I will loose all data on this new member?

Found this doc online and I can see that we have to set a new RAID policy so, bad news? I will loose data on my second member?

Thanks for your help!

psonlinehelp.equallogic.com/.../adding_members_to_an_existing_group.htm

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 13th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

Well the new member has no data yet, but it won't affect the existing member at all.

When you first add in a new member,  it gets attached to the default pool.   However, w/o a RAIDset it provides no data to the group yet.

First decide if you are going to add this member to the existing or put it in its own pool.

Assuming the existing version is in the default pool and you want to add it to the default pool,

you should enable all the iSCSI Ethernet ports then select the RAID type you want for this member.  There's a checkbox to make the space available immediately.  I prefer to not check that..  This allows the RAIDset to fully finish building before making the space available.   So no data will migrate from the existing member until then.

If you want it in its own pool.  Create the pool, select the new member and under Member settings you can select the pool and it will move it there.  Then repeat the above.  Set up the network interfaces and select the RAID policy.

When you add in a new member, you will need the "Membership password".   Which may or may not be the same as the GRPADMIN password. When the group was set up, it first asked for the Membership password.

Regards,

Don

No Events found!