Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

January 28th, 2020 06:00

Attaching EQL 6210 to Dell Storage Manager via Management IP

Hello,

We bought a EMC SAN to replace our EQL6210. We have migrated off all our VMware data from the EQL to the EMC. I have Dell Storage Manager 2019 R1 set up on a Windows VM of 2019 and connected to the new EMC. 

I did a reset on the EQL and upgraded the firmware to 10.0.3 (latest at this time). 

We purchased the replication license with our EMC and I would like to get that set up now with the EQL. 

During the initial cli setup you have to configure the Group IP address in the same VLAN as eth0. I set this up for the new vlan we are going to use in the fault domain on the EMC for replicaiton. After that I set up the management network.  

Here is where my issue began. I opened up the DSMC and connected to our Dell Storage Manager. I tried to "Add PS Group" and put in management IP and grpadmin and password and it failed. It said not a valid Group IP address. Uh oh... 

Our VM Dell Storage Manager does not have access to the ISCSI network so can't see that Group IP address only the management network.

So to confirm this I reset the EQL again and setup eth0 and Group IP address in the management vlan and sure enough I could connect it. 

Is it not possible to connect a PS Group to Dell Storage Manager via its management network? There is no way to set up the Group IP in a separate network and default gateway from the ISCSI eth0 network during setup. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

January 28th, 2020 07:00

Hello, 

I just confirmed that DSM/XPR only works on the iSCSI IP subnet.  So you will need to get DSM on that subnet. 

Regards, 

Don 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

January 28th, 2020 07:00

Hello, 

When you say 'EMC' SAN I think you mean Compellent AKA SC?   Since only SC series SANs work with PS replication. 

The iSCSI network should be the same IP subnet. Unless you set up full blown routing between the network segments.  The PS is designed to use any available port for iSCSI and replication.   You can setup a PS and change the ETH0 to ETH1 but you still have the same issue in the end.   The SC SAN replication has to be able to reach all the the PS SAN ports that are enabled and vice versa. 

Just to confirm you configured dedicated management (out-of-band) in the PS SAN GUI?  Not just configured ETH2 for the Management IP subnet?  

I am double checking on using dedicated management with Cross Platform Replication (XPR).  

Easiest solution might be to not use Dedicated Management on the PS and once it's on the same IP subnet as the SC replication, add a virtual NIC in  DSM 2019R1 VM on that IP subnet. 

Then it should work quite well.  You also should upgrade the SC to current firmware as well, if you have not done so already. 

Regards,

Don 

No Events found!