Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2012 10:00

Auto Snapshot Manager/ME and BackupExec coexisting

Quick question about ASM/ME with SQL 2005 on Windows Server 2003 VM. I have a log volume and database volume on the EQL group mapped in the guest OS.

We currently have BackupExec 2010 running a full backup of a SQL 2005 server once per week and a differential backup daily. If I use the ASM/ME to create a Smart Copy it puts a checkpoint in the SQL logs such that the next BackupExec differential backup fails:

Final error: 0xe0000363 - The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

Am I correct in thinking I must modify my Smart Copy schedule to use the Backup Type: Copy? I’d like to have the option of restoring either from tape or from the Smart Copy. Will the Backup Type: Copy allow me to restore correctly? I only ask because the docs say:

Copy—Specifying this Backup Type does nothing to the SQL database log file, and is best used when creating a Smart Copy of a database that is not intended for restores. For example, you can specify this Backup Type for a database used as a reporting or data mining copy that will be discarded.

I suppose my other option would be to just run a daily full SQL backup in BackupExec. This would be fine now but could cause problems should the database grow sufficiently large.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 14th, 2012 09:00

Yes, that's correct.   So for ASM/ME snapshots you want to keep between backups, use COPY.    You then probably want to set BUE to truncate/checkpoint your SQL logs when it does the backup.

Have you also looked into the ADBO feature in BUE2010?   That would create a snapshot, checkpoint it optionally, and then the BUE server would directly mount the snapshot  vs. going through the agent.   This tends to be faster and less load on the SQL server.  

2 Posts

June 14th, 2012 12:00

Thank you, I figured that was the case but just wanted to be sure.  I did look at the ADBO feature and unfortunately we're not licensed for the Enterprise Server option.  It's on my radar for a future upgrade.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 14th, 2012 13:00

You are most welcome.  ADBO is a nice option.  One caveat,  the being backed up and the BUE media server have to be same OS.   I.e. a W2K3 server has to be backed up by a W2K3 media server.   W2K8->W2K8.  MS changed the XML format for VSS messaging in W2K8.  It's not  backward compatible.   ADBO relies on that XML info to connect the media server to the snapshot.  

No Events found!