Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2017 03:00

Battery failed on PS6100 controller

Hi,

I have a 'battery failed' error in the secondary controller of a PS6100 that's out of warranty. In the event log you can see a more detailed error 'C2F power module voltage is too high'. Does anybody knows what this error means? Can the controller still works with this error?

thanks.

21 Posts

March 9th, 2017 00:00

These controllers do not have batteries exactly.  they have a set of capacitors on a small daughter board attached to the controller.

If you are out of warranty your options are.

buy a used controller that hopefully has a decent capacitor board

if the capacitors have not burst and leaked all over your existing controller damaging it in the process you might be able to use a soldering iron to remove them and replace with replacement capacitors. If they have already burst and leaked then it's likely the board is toast and you cannot fix it.  If they are only bulging and have not burst yet you can replace the capacitors.  If you have a good capacitor board from a PS4100 controller the capacitor daughter boards are identical between type 11 and type 12 controllers and can be swapped.  Unfortunately you must be extremely cautious when buying a used controller.  Many of the used models are being sold due to faulty C2F modules so the part you need has already failed on a good portion of the used market.  Make sure the seller specifically guarantees the battery backup C2F module is good.  Even better if they can guarantee it has been swapped out with brand new replacement capacitors and tested extensively.

Of course the last option is buy a new supported array and migrate your group data to the new unit and dispose of the old parts.

Unfortunately with these capacitor based designs they have a very high failure rates when they start to get over 5 years old so even buying a used replacement may not give you many years of extra service unless the company selling them has already refurbished the board with brand new capacitors.  I have a nice burned out example of a capacitor board that leaked badly if anyone cares.  Replaced with a used spare bought from a refurbisher online.

Picture of my failed capacitors.  the black stuff is bad.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 8th, 2017 08:00

Hello, 

It means the controller must be replaced.  It can not function as the primary. 

Regards, 

Don 

61 Posts

March 9th, 2017 10:00

I had this exact same issue last week and it was replaced under warranty. The controller is 5 years old this year. The failed controller was an A00 revision that was replaced with a A04 revision, I guess if you're trying to source a refurbed board, try and get a A04 version as they will have newer components.

1 Message

April 17th, 2017 00:00

could any one help me to purchase new capacitors in Inida.  

Capacitor - BCAP0025 P270 T11- 4nos.  

8 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 03:00

We have tried everything ... China battery boards, solder new caps... but i does not work. I think Dell is tagging the controllers as "defect" ... so it will alway show "low battery" even if you replace the battery board!!! We have 4 controllers here with defect battery boards.... 

December 22nd, 2017 03:00

Hi!, colud you tell me where is located the daughter card ?, in slocarted inside the controller?, ipm hacving the batteru failed problem , and i need to do the service tghis nigth,. I think its no necessary tio powerdown the srtiorage , only to remive the contorller module, plesase let me know if its ok my consideration. Thanks and regrads.  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 08:00

Hello,

I'm sorry you are having such difficulties, but the boards aren't being "tagged" in anyway.  For customers with support contracts, Dell offers just replacing the battery boards vs. entire CM.  This is done by a trained technician onsite.

Regards,

Don

4 Posts

March 20th, 2018 01:00

Hi Don,

But do you think it's normal for a unit of such value, or better said for so many units in the world, to get a crash for such a ridiculous reason?

I want to say ridiculous by the mean of the value of the falling part (not the price of it).

It's "funny" that you offer us just 2 choices (apart from switch to another provider): either pay a lot of Euros yearly for support or pay a lot of Euros every 3-5 years on a new controller.

We've been lucky enough to catch a battery module, some years ago, before the capacitors leak. So we've changed the caps with the best we've could get on the market (and under 100$). The module was sealed after that so that even if the caps will leak (but we were assured it will not happen), the liquid will not touch the board.

All the costs were 100$ top. Is it impossible for Dell to do this? It's a pity that this is happening.

For the record, I have an HP SAN since 2009 and a Fujitsu since 2008. NOT even a problem since then. Just a HHD to replace from time to time. Can you imagine this?!?

I'm starting to ask myself very seriously if I made the best decision, back in 2010, to switch my entire infrastructure to Dell.

Please forgive me for being so off-topic, but I could not help myself.

All the best,

Catalin

61 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 05:00

I've had two of these replaced now under warranty. First one they replaced the whole controller, but the last one was just the capacitor board. There's a part number for just the board, if you have a nice account manager they might be able to source one, but ultimately they want the yearly ££££ from you.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 08:00

Hello, 

Dell doesn't sell parts for arrays w/o a support contract.  Especially on controllers that aren't made anymore. 

Regards, 

Don 

10 Posts

June 26th, 2019 20:00

For those that want to replace the supercapacitors on the board,  you should know that the BCAP0025 P270 T11 is discontinued by the mfg.

The two options you have are:

BCAP0025 P270 S01  -- this is the same part, but the legs aren't pre-bent 90 degrees. (approx $5 each)

Seems they discontinued this part with pre-bent legs, but that shouldn't be a problem.

So for $20 you can repair your board with known-good capacitors.  

1 Message

June 19th, 2020 01:00

Have you ever tried this solution? how is the result? Because, I did this solution but the supercap I used another brand with the same spec. It did not work. After installed, the controller shown everything worked properly but only 4 hours. After that, alert was shown.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 19th, 2020 04:00

Hello, 

I wonder if the replacements were the same specification but not the same tolerances. 

Regards, 

Don 

11 Posts

June 21st, 2020 23:00

Hi,

I don't know about not being able to get the controller  boards anymore, I managed to buy them from dell spare parts without a problem at all.  They were not that expensive and It cleared my failed battery errors on the controller.

I don't know about the ebay ones with replaced capacitors, i would rather trust buying a new unit from dell spares.

I just ordered the part number of the unit.

Cheers,

Aaron

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2020 09:00

Hello Aaron, 

That's interesting, since Dell/EMC doesn't sell parts on OOW arrays by policy. 

Drives, controllers, power supplies, etc..  

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!