Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2017 09:00

C2F power module has insufficient hold time.

I recently took over control of a PS4110 running a legacy development environment that was due for decommissioning a few months ago just recently threw an alert C2F power module has insufficient hold time on the secondary controller.

The previous admin did not update firmware, so i am still running on ancient 6.0.2 firmware.

Due to the fact that we were due to decommission this entire environment, our support contract lapsed. I have heard from other posts old firmware can cause this error to be thrown for no reason. Is there a way for me to tell if this is a bug or if it is an actual failure? I may need to support this SAN for sometime longer unfortunately.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

I'm pretty sure its not a firmware issue.  Does this environment run VMware?   

Regards.

Don 

2 Posts

Don, 

Yes we are running VMWare 5.5

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

October 9th, 2017 10:00

Your data maybe in danger because of https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2049103

You should upgrade to 6.0.6h2 or higher on your EQLs. About your problem.... if i remember right Dell swapped the effected CM in my member

Regards,
Joerg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 9th, 2017 10:00

Hello, 

Then you potentially have a problem.  There is a known issue with EQL FW earlier than 6.0.6-H2 that can result in VMFS Datastore Heartbeat corruption.  

Is this just a single member group?  

To help mitigate the risk, please make sure that all of the best practices for ESXi with EQL are set. 

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20434601/download

You should get it back under contact if possible and upgrade the firmware and get the CM replaced. 

Regards,

Don 

April 28th, 2023 08:00

I just encountered the same problem "C2F power module has insufficient hold time", indicating Battery: Failed on active controller. Then I accidentally discovered a possible solution is to press Restart, ie, switching the controllers (active>passive). After the switch over is completed, the failed battery return to GOOD!!! No idea why this fixed the problem, but no harm to try if you guys encountered the same battery failed problem in the future. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

April 28th, 2023 08:00

Hello, 

I would not be sure the resolution is fixed.   Older versions of FW weren't as good at monitoring the passive controller HW.  If you can, during a maint window I would fail back to that controller to be sure that battery is actually a set of capacitors.  Which can leak, and fail.  

Regards, 

Don 

#iworkfordell 

April 29th, 2023 02:00

Just tried to fall back again per your suggestion, everything worked as expected. No more battery problem. Btw, F/W is ancient v5.2.11 1.jpg2.jpg

April 29th, 2023 02:00

Attached was the original CF/Battery failed capture screen message3.jpg

April 29th, 2023 03:00

Updated: The original failed controller battery FAILED AGAIN after 1 hour! So the switching doesn't work, and the critical warning was not false positive. I need to replace the battery ASAP to avoiding leaking

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

April 29th, 2023 13:00

Hello, 

Thank you for the update.  I hadn't seen any false positives with those assemblies.  Both will likely need replacement.  

Regards, 

Don 

#iworkfordell 

April 30th, 2023 04:00

I have ordered the capacitor battery 0KYCCH. Is it enough? What do you mean by both? I thought only by replacing the battery shall fix the CF power module problem.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

April 30th, 2023 10:00

Hello, 

I was referring to both controllers.  If one has gone bad, given their age the other will likely fail as well 

Regards,

Don 

#iworkfordell 

May 1st, 2023 03:00

Got it, thanks Don! 

61 Posts

June 2nd, 2023 08:00

Those 0KYCCH boards can be tricky to replace. There's a risk of damaging the connectors.  When we used to be under warranty they wouldn't let the customer replace them, it had to be a call out. 

We have had loads of these break over the years, nowadays they just replace the whole controller with refurb.

August 7th, 2023 07:00

Actually, super easy to do, it took me 30 seconds to replace the battery.

No Events found!