Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2019 10:00

Can I transform a 6110XS into a 6110X ?

Hi, I have a 6110XS Hybrid that had 3 SSD drives failed, these disks and also the box are out-off-order by DELL since this storage is out of warranty.. Can I swap-out the remaining SSD disks and leave the storage with 24 SAS disks, so, transforming the storage back to and 6110X only.. will this config will be supported by the controller? since the controller type 14 of this storage is also used on a 6110X. Or in case this is not supported and the first 7 disks trays has to be filled with SSD, can I work with only 4 SSD + 17 SAS ? or it's mandatory to have 7 SSD + 17 SAS online and working?

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 13th, 2019 13:00

Hello, Has to be 7 for an XS configuration. Then only RAID6-accelerated is allowed. The SSDs get their own RAIDset. Apart from the spinning drives. So you need the 7 as a minimum. Don

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 13th, 2019 11:00

Hello, Yes you can do that. You will need supported EQL drives, OEM or non EQL drives won't be recognized by the array. If the SSD drives are dead you will need to reset the array and start over from there with the new drives. Regards, Don

41 Posts

August 13th, 2019 12:00

Thanks Don,

Can I also work with only 4 SSDs and complete the remaining trays with SAS drives (4 SSD + 20 SAS config) or is mandatory to use 7 SSD/17 SAS to configure the array as  RAID6 accelerated? 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

Hello, 

If you tried it, it would likely just add the SSDs to the spinning drives, then the SAS drives would be the size of the SSDs and you would end up with unpredictable results.   I'm guessing that's what it would do without enough SSD drives 

Don 

41 Posts

Thanks for your help Don, yes, I was reading some technical docs here that due to how an EQL Hybrid array works, the minimum SSD disks has to be 7 SSD drives for a correct raid6 accelerated array. At least, is good to know that I can convert it to a SAS only array, replacing the SSDs with spinning disks in the future.. turning it to a 6110X Array. Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 13th, 2019 18:00

Hello, You are very welcome. Glad I could assist you. If you change later you can't do that and keep your data and configuration. It will have to be reset. I think you realize that but in case someone else who doesn't tries it. Regards, Don
No Events found!