Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2019 19:00

Controlling fan speen PS6210?

I've got a PS6210 set up for a lab environment and while I can see the fan speeds I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce them to let it run a bit warmer but bring the noise level down.  Anyone successfully done something like this?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

April 18th, 2019 08:00

Hello,

I'm sorry no.  You cannot manually control the fan speeds.

Regards,

Don

7 Posts

April 18th, 2019 09:00

I'm disappointed but not surprised by that. I'll have to figure out something else to mitigate the noise.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

April 18th, 2019 11:00

Hello,

An option that could lead to premature failure of hardware would not a be a good thing, in my opinion.

Regards,

Don

7 Posts

April 18th, 2019 12:00

The option exists on my R730s as a setting right in the DRAC, so I doubt having the fans spin slower while at lower temperatures is truly dangerous.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

April 19th, 2019 08:00

Hello,

I do totally understand what you are saying.  My only reply would be losing a single server is bad, but losing all your data is far worse.   Even if you have backups and a DR solution.

Regards,

Don

7 Posts

April 24th, 2019 15:00

Considering I've said repeatedly it's for a lab, I'm not sure why people can't accept that maybe I'm not entirely worried about "Maximum uptime".  At this point I'm more inclined to recycle it and call it a day. I'll fire up a Nutanix CE on some quiet boxes.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

April 24th, 2019 20:00

Hello,

I really do hear what you are saying.  I also have experienced that some else comes along and puts real data on it.  I've had cases where it was neglected for years as a lab system.  Then RAIDset double faults and now they need that data.

Regards,

Don

No Events found!