Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2017 10:00

Delete member with internal iSCSI connections

We have three members (PS6010's) which need to be removed due to a decomm.

All volumes have been removed ready for decomm, two of the members show 0 connections but one shows "102 internal connections not shown".

If we delete this member last what are the consequences as in all the ESXi Hosts and servers with iSCSI connections will they drop or any disruption etc?

We're trying to remove the three members with minimal disruption.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2017 11:00

Hello, 

The best way to remove a member is to first move it to its own pool.  You can create a pool, name it "Maint" or "temp".   Then move that member to be removed to that pool.   "Internal" connections are typically the intermember MESH and IPC ports.  MESH usually only shows up when there's still data on that member. 

So moving it out will insure that all data from that member is moved to the remaining members. 

Once in the new pool, you can use the "Delete member" option to quickly remove it and reset it back to factory settings.  This will be non disruptive. 

The IPC connections will always be there as long a the member is in the group. 

Regards,

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 27th, 2017 08:00

Hello, 

Correct group lead will change members w/o any interruption.  It's designed that way.  Any member can be the lead.  Since these are INTERNAL connections it won't impact servers.  All server/data connections show up in the connections tab in the GUI.  There are NO hidden server iSCSI connections. 

Regards,

Don

8 Posts

July 27th, 2017 01:00

Thanks for the reply.

I can move the members one by one to the new pool starting with the two having no iSCSI connections but ultimately the last one with all the current internal connections will then be the last member in the pool as we're also removing the pool so it won't have the ability to move any potential data/connections within the pool to a remaining member in that pool.

It's interestingly the only member that lists these internal iSCSI connections, could it be some sort of 'master' member?

8 Posts

July 27th, 2017 07:00

Yes it may be group lead.

I want to remove all members and the pool they reside in as a decomm.

So can I 'delete member' all three members in turn and when I remove the last member the pool will delete as well? It'll pass the group lead to another member in another pool without disruption?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 27th, 2017 07:00

Hello, 

That member could be the Group Lead.  Which handles logins and owns the event logs.  

I'm not 100% following what you are trying to do in your first paragraph. 

You have members that you want to remove from the group.  When you get down to the last member in the pool, you won't be able to delete that member or pool.   Delete member only works when you have more than one member in a group.   When you get down to the last member, you have to go to the Group CLI and enter "reset".    Then it will prompt you to confirm it with "DeleteAllMyDataNow"   (case sensitive) 

Or did you mean when you get down to the last member you want to delete.  The one with internal connections can be moved and deleted as well.  If it is the group lead, that function will move to the final member automatically. 

Regards,

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

Sorry if I confused you.  Since you have at least one more member in the GROUP (vs. Pool) you can use the Delete Member.  If you also deleted the member in Pool B, you would be left with just one member in that Group.  That's when you have to use the 'reset' option at the CLI.   Since there are no more members at all in the group.  Regardless of the number of pools.  

So for pool A.  If there is no data there, they you can use the delete member to remove them one at a time. This will be w/o disruption to the other pools.   When the last member is gone, you can delete that pool. 

Regards,

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

If you have FOUR arrays in that group, and move three of them into a temp pool, then yes you can delete all of those members and delete that temp pool.   You just can't use "Delete member" to get ride of the last member in a Group.  That's when you use reset at the CLI.   Also NEVER user 'reset' 'when there are more than one member in a group.  Always use "delete member". 

Regards,

Don

8 Posts

Thanks it makes sense.

I'm assuming the group lead role will move to another member? I can't see a way to move it.
I was just concerned over these unknown internal iSCSI connections, thinking perhaps somehow hosts/servers where connected to it and then it was passing the connection through to the other members and taking that member down would cause a disruption.

8 Posts

Sorry you've confused me even more...

We have:-
Our group has 3 Pools
Pool A with 3 members (We want to decomm all members and the pool)
This pool ha no volumes, 2 members have 0 iSCSI connections, 1 member with 100+ hidden internal connections maybe the group lead

Pool B with 1 member this will remain

Pool C with 1 member this will remain

We want to remove all three members in Pool A along with Pool A.

How do we do this with no disruption??

8 Posts

July 27th, 2017 09:00

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

You are most welcome.  I'm glad I could help out. 

Don 

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

When only having the GUI one way to find out which is your Group Lead(GL) is to click on the Monitoring tab in the bottem left. Under normal conditions 99.9% of all msg are comming from a single member.... thats your current GL.

I suggest that you delete this member at the last one of your 3 because that the GL role has only to move once.

Regards,
Joerg

No Events found!