dwilliam62
4 Beryllium

Re: Dell. PS-6000 Web management interface. whats the I.P.?

Hello, 

Just to be clear. The configuration is NOT stored on the SD card.  Only the boot OS is. You need 8 disks or 1/2 populated depending on model, to build a RAIDset.   ALL the configuration information for that until is protected on the RAIDset itself.  

Having a minimum set of disks is not unusual at all.  

you don't need a "driver" disk or management software.  Once you have access to it over the network the WebGUI is a java applet stored on the RAIDset as part of the configuration.  

Don

0 Kudos
dwilliam62
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Re: Network. It's not just about speed.  Both the active and passive controller need to be connected to the common switch. So in the event of a failure you still have connectivity to the SAN. 

Re: Drives. A better comparison is car engine not gas. You can buy it with 4 cyl or 8 cyls, but you can lob off one cylinder and make it work.  Also, drivers are the heart of the SAN.  This device was designed for commercial IO loads, not a small end home system.  More drives equals more IO capacity. 

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Ahrle
2 Iron

O.K. So i Installed Puttµ, Has connected seriel, and 9600/8/1/0 Ist set up (Default). then i just get an empty terminal window with a green type marker that doesnt respond. Fans on the SAN are stuck on 10000+ Rpm (they rev down for a while few min after startup. then rev up to max again and stay there)  . i waited 10+ min now... 

i not sure. ist san broken ?? 

Eddit. 
Network cntrlr. #1 - ACT steady green
Network cntrlr. #2 - ACT steady orange
The "OK" sign ist flashing Orange at the Back of the S.A.N. .

i have Tried both Seriel socket and no work (only has 1 on server ) , also tried downside up  cabel. i think nothing work ? not sure if it has booted 😕

0 Kudos
dwilliam62
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Also make sure you are not using serial port flow control. Neither software or hardware flowcontrol.   If you are using a Cicso switch cable that won't ever work as they are wired non standard. 

You need a stand "NULL modem" wiring layout. or NULL modem adapter. 

Regards,

Don 

0 Kudos
Ahrle
2 Iron

i have No idea what i use sorrily , , i just use the cably cable that i got With the SAN. not sure if O.E.M.

i will grab Hand on a Zip-modem Cable tomorow. whats next step ? after serial conect it launch san os áutomaticaly? 🙂

Edit. This appear to be Exact same cable i have , not only connector but rest of design too : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Null_modem_cable_1.jpg

Edit. #2. I not sure if it has set up or anything from prev. Owner. i dont even know if S.D. card ist inside. i think it has error booting if it "" blink yellow and nothin more Happen ?? :'( 

0 Kudos
Ahrle
2 Iron

And Another quizion. Whats is Raw power of this San ? ist any Chance faster than Ibm Aptiva ?

0 Kudos
dwilliam62
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Performance is most determined by the number and type of drives, the RAID level selected, and the IO pattern. 

For example running SQL on RAID6 will have lower write performance vs. R10. but better read performance.

This array is capable of many thousands of IOs per second, or hundreds of MBs per second throughput. 

Benchmarks show you the peak theoretical but can easily be tweeked to show the best of any brand of storage or drive. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
Ahrle
2 Iron

How do i hard Reset this P.o.s.? Blink Amber means hardware error ?? 

0 Kudos
dwilliam62
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

The amber light indicates which controller is the passive. 

re: Reset.  Where you able to login?   If not then you can't reset the array.

Regards,

Don 

0 Kudos
dwilliam62
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

If the SD card is not installed in the controllers, they will not boot.  So once you get connected properly with correct cables, then if you still don't get a login prompt.  Power off the array, wait 1 minute then power back up to see if the controller BIOS at least boots. 

Without the SD card you can't configure or use the array. 

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos