5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 06:00

Dell PS Series Equallogic firmware v9.1.5 and v8.1.14 have been released

Hello,

The latest firmware is now available at https://eqlsupport.dell.com

Issues Corrected in Version 9.1.5

This version of PS Series firmware includes all bug fixes that were incorporated into earlier
releases.

Hardware

•  A PS6610 array panicked during a controller failover due to an internal transitory state of the
spare drive when spun up.

• After a CMC reset, if the firmware detected that the CPU temperature on a PSM4110 reached or
exceeded 95C, the array shut down after 50 seconds. The timer was increased from 50 seconds to 3.75
minutes. This increase allows the PSM4110 to communicate its fan request information to the M1000e
and expect the thermal response effect.

Networking

•  Initiators might erroneously fail to log into a single volume with Local reset initiated due to
network errors.

Protocols
Support for SSLv2 from PS arrays has been disabled.
• Garbage collector tracker flags were corrected to fix an issue with page consumption post SCSI
unmap processing, which may have accumulated over time inducing performance penalty.

Replication

• Cross-platform replication snapshots were deleted even if the volume had an on-going replication
scheduled or online activated DR snapshots.

• A cross-platform replication process hung because persistent connections were being logged out
and logged in numerous times.

Regards,

Don

117 Posts

February 14th, 2018 03:00

Hello, I notice that 9.1.5 has been pulled from the support site as of this morning.  I would like to know if this is an error or if there is a problem with this version.  I have already installed 9.1.5 on one of my groups and was planning to update two other groups soon.  Please advise. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 14th, 2018 09:00

Hello,

An issue was recently identified in Dell EMC PS Series firmware versions 9.1.5 and 8.1.14 which could, in rare circumstances, negatively impact array operations. If you have previously downloaded either of these firmware versions and have not yet installed it, Dell EMC recommends that you not install it at this time. An updated version of the firmware will be made available shortly to replace the affected versions. If you have installed either of these firmware versions, please contact your Dell EMC technical support representative. 

Regards,

Don

5 Posts

February 14th, 2018 10:00

Since you don't yet have a fix, can you be a little less coy about what the issue is, who may be affected by it, and what mitigations there are currently?

5 Posts

February 14th, 2018 11:00

Seeing as the upgrade to 9.1.5 was the only thing that fixed a different issue we were having where we were seeing latency around 15 *seconds* (15000 ms) I am keen to hear a tiny bit more about why I need to roll back.

21 Posts

February 14th, 2018 11:00

I called in.  The support engineers were not given details of exactly what the problem is yet or how it gets triggered.

If you are on 8.1.14 the easy option is upgrade to 9.0.9

If you are on 9.1.5 they can give you the secret commands to allow downgrading without reset I guess.  (You have good backups already right)  

Or you can live with the unknown peril until a patch arrives.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 14th, 2018 17:00

Hello,

Those that have seen the issue it causes the array to be totally unavailable, not slow.  So the issue you are now seeing is not likely related to the removal of the firmware from the website.

Please open a support case on the performance issue.

Regards,

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 15th, 2018 07:00

Hello,

You can downgrade from 9.1.5 to 9.1.4 without doing a reset.  Same goes for 8.1.x.  You use the same process as upgrading using the CLI.  Transfer the 9.1.4 kit to the array and at the CLI type 'update'.   The prompts will guide you through the process.   Then restart array to complete the downgrade.

Trying to downgrade a major rev, like 9.1.x to 8.1.x would require a reset of the array.

Regards,

Don

We need some more information here.  Given the nature of these devices many of us can not just get an outage window to roll back firmware without knowing exactly what is at risk and under what circumstances.

I called into support and spoke to an engineer who tried to get more information for me and all he could come back with is the same message we received in the email, that in some rare circumstances the array could be negatively impacted.

I don't think it is too much to ask that we be told, directly, what the circumstances are, and exactly how impacted we will be.

Dell is putting a lot of stress on a lot of system admins by withholding this information.  I get to sweat it out for at least the next several days until I can get a window scheduled to roll this firmware back.  For all I know both of my SANs that I just upgraded to 9.1.5 this past Saturday are about to fall out from underneath me and I don't even know if that just means a momentary hiccup in connectivity or total loss of all data.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

For the moment that is the messaging we have. No one thus far affected has lost any data.  The array goes offline, making the data unavailable until the issue is resolved.  Then the firmware downgraded to prevent the issue from reoccurring. 

Regards,

Don

5 Posts

I am NOT currently having the previous issue, BECAUSE of 9.1.5. Asking me to roll back would also bring back my previous issue, which (if I wasn't clear enough before) makes the Array functionally useless. I am currently running normally, except for this mysterious new firmware issue that I have no idea how to deal with or mitigate. I'm trying not to drop this issue on my Juniors, but I'm leaving for my vacation next week.

Can you at least confirm that when a solution is ready, that it will just involve a new firmware update? If that is the case, I know they can handle that no problem, but if it's going to involve a rebuild or some other kind of hot shenanigans it'll have to wait until I get back (which leaves us in this unspecified critical state for much longer than I'd prefer).

February 15th, 2018 08:00

Can we get more information on the potential cause of the issue?  Is it happening after a certain period of uptime, during a snapshot, during a specific proccess?  Anything you can provide will help us know how much we are risking.  If Dell doesn't know what is causing it, just say that.

I do not have the luxury of doing this downgrade without scheduling downtime.  These units are the shared storage for a Hyper-V cluster, which from previous experience does not like controller failovers.  It doesn't cause a failure of the cluster but it does wreak havoc as the cluster nodes think there is a storage issue and begins failing roles around.

So I have no choice to wait until this weekend at the earliest to perform this work.  All the while I get to wonder if at any moment I lose my entire production environment.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 15th, 2018 08:00

Hello,

Yes, the information I have is that a new firmware release is being created.  When posted it will only require a normal firmware upgrade process to implement.

Regards,

Don

5 Posts

March 6th, 2018 11:00

So, three weeks later - is there ANY new information about the firmware update? I am becoming more and more nervous about my situation and as time moves on and NO new information is released its becoming harder and harder to justify a wait-and-see posture on this.

21 Posts

March 11th, 2018 00:00

Likely a bug so embarrassing and stupid they refuse to say as it would endanger future sales if the truth were told.

April 18th, 2018 10:00

Are there any updates on this?  Knowing what might cause it would be helpful also any ETA on a fixed version?

Thanks!
Eric

No Events found!