Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2013 20:00

Deploying Equallogic VSM OVA strange DNS settings error

I found what to me seems to be a strange bug when deploying the Dell Equallogic Virtual Storage Manager (EQL VSM).

When chosing to deploy the OVA file you input what DNS servers to use in the VA.
When the deployment is finished and the VA starts it is unable to time sync to NTP servers using DNS names, however using IP addresses works.

Looking more closely at the VA I find that:

1.DNS servers are used correctly on the web page of the VA (in Configure VSM Properties)

2.A different DNS server set is used on the VA console (login on VA console with default login of root / eql)

The DNS servers the VA choses to use in the console starts on 10.127.x.x which is something we have never used anywhere or told the VA to use during deployment.

I have had Dell EQL support look at this but the only advice so far has been to redeploy the VSM which I have done 5 times now with the same results.

Since the console only has an auto-start menu for the root login I'm unable to exit that menu and edit linux dns settings in console directly which is a bit annoying, maybe there is a workaround for that?

Anyone else seen this problem?

VSM version = VSM-3.5.2.1.ova

I also have this post the the VMware Storage forum since it seems to be much more active:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/2265191#2265191

6 Posts

July 18th, 2013 12:00

The problem seems to be that console DNS settings are not correctly set during OVF/OVA deployment on the console (looks like a bug). Event though DNS settings are correct on the web mgmt page the solution is to change DNS settings there and restart the VSM VA when prompted.

6 Posts

July 18th, 2013 13:00

After some more testing I found out that the problem only happens when you input more than 2 DNS servers.

We usually put 3 DNS servers on servers and other equipment where possible.

It seems the deployment is not able to handle 3 DNS servers, however with 1 or 2 DNS servers everything works perfectly fine.

6 Posts

with commas.

It works with 2 dns servers like x.x.x.x, y.y.y.y

but now with 3 i.e. x.x.x.x, y.y.y.y, z.z.z.z

6 Posts

I mean "NOT with 3" :)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I believe that's an artifact of how VCS allows us to pass the external settings definited during deployment, in that config file, to the VM when it starts.  The settings you use during the Deployment are stored with the VM, not inside the VM. Since during deployment, the VM isn't running.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

How did you separate out the DNS entries?  spaces or commas?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 18th, 2013 14:00

Thanks.  Feel free to open a support case and it can get bugged appropirately.

6 Posts

July 18th, 2013 14:00

Yeah I've already updated my support track with the details

No Events found!