Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2014 12:00

Drive not approved for array

We have a PS5000e that went out of warranty a couple of years ago, and I've set it up to host scratch volumes for our terminal servers. One of the drives failed, so we replaced with the same Hitachi model taht we bought from another vendor because it was no longer available from Dell. Now we're getting the "One or more drives in array are not approved" message.

We should be able to return the drive if we have to, and I guess I would need to contact Dell to find out what kind of replacement drive we can order. The drive appears to be healthy, but it's a hot spare. Can I expect it to work properly, or am I out of luck here?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2014 13:00

Correct, Dell purchases the drive with a custom firmware image.  That info is what the firmware is looking for.   An EOM drive does not have that so it's rejected.

172 Posts

Wow! OK, I understand, but let me ask this - one of the things stressed by Dell reps at demos for EQ and Compellent is that there are a lot of EQs out there that keep on truckin' years after support ends (which may be different than EOL). Does that mean those users have just been lucky enough to not have drives die, or are there other options for keeping the unit alive?

I realize you are a Dell employee. We have a PS6000 in production and support has been great, and we're budgeting for our next PS, but it's a shame to think the 5000 may become a doorstop soon.

172 Posts

OK, but that's what I thought I was doing. The 5000 has several Hitachi HUA722050CLA330 drives, so I ordered one of those. But I guess what you're saying is that any drive I buy needs to have been built specifically for use in an EQ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello Trnc,

Since the PS5000 is end-of-life, Dell won't be able to sell you new drives.   The firmware on the EQL drives is custom, so only drives with that firmware will work.

Since the drive is not approved it won't be used by the array in the event of a failure.

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Re: 5000.  Sorry but from Dell there are no other options to keep it going.  

As has been pointed out already, there are places selling used EQL parts like drives and controllers, etc.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

You can shop the Internet for valid drives:

www.amazon.com/.../B00GT22UNI

172 Posts

No worries. Your answers always have the major benefit of being accurate, so that's really the most important thing. Also, as I look around, I see that there are some drives out there for us.

Thanks again.

172 Posts

Argh. OK, thanks to all for the responses.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Sorry didn't have better answer for you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Thank you.  I'm glad I can help out.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 04:00

Hi there! Is this also the case with the PS6000 product family?

I recieved the same message when replacing two 1TB Dell Equallogic drive with two 2TB Seagate.

The drives display as spares on the equallogic GUI, but with no indicator lights, and do not come online when an aditional drive fails/or is removed.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2014 06:00

Hello,

Yes it's also true for PS 6xxx series arrays too

January 3rd, 2017 10:00

Is there a way to flash the OEM drive with the Dell Equallogic Custom Firmware Image?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2017 18:00

Hello, 

No there is not a way to do that. 

Regards, 

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 9th, 2017 13:00

Hello, 

Good luck with that.  Though that will void the warranty on your new drive.  I would think getting drives from a 3rd party maintainer would be better.   I'll also be a little surprised if that works. 

Given the importance of Gov't data and uptime requirements,  I would think the opposite and they'd only want HW with support contracts.   Along with staying current on firmware. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!